Smart Meters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPECIAL LOCATION

Trailer Boy - Electrician.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any of these installed in there homes???

Had a flyer from my supplier asking for interested bods to have gas & electric meters replaced with "Smart Meters"..

No charge?

give automated readings to the supply company..

& you get one of then energy consumption jobbies you can put around the house,

to see how much the kids are wasting!!! :( :|

Anyone?? ?:|

Evenin` bud. :)

I`ve heard of `em; but haven`t got one. Managed to get on one of those tariffs where you pay a fixed amount monthly, dependant on house size & no. of occupants.

They`ve stopped it now; but they can`t take existing customers off it!!

I looked at switching suppliers last year, and the cheapest would be approx double what I pay now!!!!!

So I`m staying as I am, thankyou.

:D :)

Evenin` bud. :) I`ve heard of `em; but haven`t got one. Managed to get on one of those tariffs where you pay a fixed amount monthly, dependant on house size & no. of occupants.

They`ve stopped it now; but they can`t take existing customers off it!!

I looked at switching suppliers last year, and the cheapest would be approx double what I pay now!!!!!

So I`m staying as I am, thankyou.
Evening Sir! ;) :x

I read the speel...

said only available to dual-fuel customers..

and that electric & gas meters are changed and the both transmit readings via the Mobile phone network to supplier!

I couldn't figure out how the Gas meter would be able to transmit without having a power supply installed ?

So I rang them... they said..

You can only have the Smart Gas Meter if a smart Electric meter is installed..

The Gas meter has a long life battery that has to send signals to the eclectic meter!? :D (within the boundary of the house)

Then the electric meter (nickin your power) Transmits BOTH gas & electric readings!

Ahhh! I thought... that makes sense now?? :x :x:D:D:^O

Anyway... told em to come and upgrade me..

booked for July 1st.....??

Watch this space...

I shall tell you what they are like & what they do!

Heard that these were about to be rolled out across the country. Even rang up British Gas to ask if they could install one now but no luck. :(

I am feeling a little smug at the moment as I went for a fixed price tariff two weeks ago (with free electrical usage monitor) with E-on. Gives me until 2009 to swap the boiler, insulate the cavities and shove a load more insulation in the loft! Then I'm back in the poo again.

Heard that these were about to be rolled out across the country. Even rang up British Gas to ask if they could install one now but no luck. :( I am feeling a little smug at the moment as I went for a fixed price tariff two weeks ago (with free electrical usage monitor) with E-on. Gives me until 2009 to swap the boiler, insulate the cavities and shove a load more insulation in the loft! Then I'm back in the poo again.
Tis e-on wat is offering these Smart meters in our area..

AND the FREE usage monitor..

Which is the bit I want! :D :D:D

Tis e-on wat is offering these Smart meters in our area..AND the FREE usage monitor..

Which is the bit I want! :D :D:D
It's going to be interesting to see what power is taken up from all the things you forget/don't bother to turn off/unplug.

Boy! Am I going to be insufferable for a while. ;)

I'm already moaning at the other half for turning on the central heating to dry clothes on! ;)