Smoke/heat alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Was helping to install some interlinking heat/smoke alarms in a house yesterday. They were just off the lighting circuit and no new circuit needed. I know normally that if something is installed on a existing circuit and not in a special location it doesn't need to be notified. However the guy I was with said that because they are smoke/heat alarms they need to be notified regardless. Is this the case ?

They do not require notification under Part P unless it is a new circuit but this would apply to any new circuit in a dwelling however they must be installed and certified in accordance with BS5839:6.

They do not require notification under Part P unless it is a new circuit but this would apply to any new circuit in a dwelling however they must be installed and certified in accordance with BS5839:6.

Hum .......... I doubt that happens much, especially by DIY'ers and handy people!

They'd need notifying for Part P in Wales if any of the additions are in a "special location"..... a kitchen is defined as a "special location" under Part P

Thanks for your thoughts chaps and yes true re kitchens in wales. I asked the chap to clarify and he admitted he explained it wrong. He meant with Aico they have a certificate that can be filled in not a form to be filled in for building control.