So Apparently I Am Not Aloud To Find Work As An Electrician.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came to this thread as I did a search for info on CSCS card... but couldn't help but read a wonderfully off topic thread!

Regarding signing on etc, - it's recently occurred to me that perhaps I should do so, not because I expect any benefits, - my wife works for a start - but because, being self employed, how does the tax man *know* that you haven't been working if there's no documentary evidence to the contrary?

We moved house just over a year ago, mainly due to work drying up, also because the kids have grown up and didn't need a 4 bed detached any more, and bought a bungalow to renovate, perhaps to sell on for a profit when completed, perhaps not, see how things are at the time, so I've been 'busy' even though i've only had paid work in fits and starts. But the tax man doesn't know that does he. So I thought that to sign on would be the only option really.

Anyway, there's been some talk of a housing association site going to go ballastic in about 4 weeks time, with work until June, but i'll need a CSCS card to work there. Apart from the odd day or 3 now and again, I haven't done site work for over 10 years and haven't ever had a CSCS card. So I thought i'd look on the friendly forum for some info... but there doesn't seem to be any on CSCS cards?

Used to be Part P with Elecsa BTW, have got 17th ed etc, also done the C & G 236 donkeys ago.

I came to this thread as I did a search for info on CSCS card... but couldn't help but read a wonderfully off topic thread!

Regarding signing on etc, - it's recently occurred to me that perhaps I should do so, not because I expect any benefits, - my wife works for a start - but because, being self employed, how does the tax man *know* that you haven't been working if there's no documentary evidence to the contrary?

We moved house just over a year ago, mainly due to work drying up, also because the kids have grown up and didn't need a 4 bed detached any more, and bought a bungalow to renovate, perhaps to sell on for a profit when completed, perhaps not, see how things are at the time, so I've been 'busy' even though i've only had paid work in fits and starts. But the tax man doesn't know that does he. So I thought that to sign on would be the only option really.

Anyway, there's been some talk of a housing association site going to go ballastic in about 4 weeks time, with work until June, but i'll need a CSCS card to work there. Apart from the odd day or 3 now and again, I haven't done site work for over 10 years and haven't ever had a CSCS card. So I thought i'd look on the friendly forum for some info... but there doesn't seem to be any on CSCS cards?

Used to be Part P with Elecsa BTW, have got 17th ed etc, also done the C & G 236 donkeys ago.
Also there's the ECS cards linked with JIB etc (look at Affiliated Schemes tab on the link). Bound to be a local test centre near you:

http://www.cscs.uk.com/

? @ Bolton?

I meant that if someone signs on - in receipt of benefits or not - then they at least have some 'documentary evidence' to show the tax man that they haven't been working.

And if there's no 'documentary evidence', then the tax man could just say that you've been working for cash then, and tax you accordingly.