So will the ICE be banned or not?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read something recently that there are plans for EV points to have separate meters.
There's a new "law" coming in at the end of June that mandates that all newly installed charge points will have to feedback usage/metering back to the DNO's,,, it also includes delaying the start time of a charge by a random time of up to 10 mins and make it so that they won't charge during peak demand times, unless you opt out for the specific charge

Back to the original point . . . when money is no object then almost anything is possible, so of course F1 can afford to use a fully synthetic 'green' fuel. Their fuel costs are trivial compared with all the other costs to run the global F1 circus. I suppose it's possible that economies of scale might just mean a wider adoption of an F1 technology, as it has in the past, but I think we'll be waiting a long time in this case.

As for ICEs being banned completely, well steam engines are not banned are they? A friend has a stem traction engine but cheap to run it certainly isn't!

The point about EV taxes is a good one though. ICE and fuel taxes are a massive income for governments and it has to be replaced somehow. Personally, I'd prefer to see a total overhaul and simplification of the tax system, perhaps based on an income tax only with none of the proliferation into 'social engineering' taxes such as alcohol duty, tobacco duty, air passenger duty , even VAT come to think of it. Just take a cut of my income and leave my spending alone!

The revenue lost by the eventual reduction in fossil fuel sales with have to come from somewhere, watch for car tax to be introduced for EV vehicles, and more toll roads/congestion charging for your local village. 🥴

Posted before I read King Arthurs post above.

I read something recently that there are plans for EV points to have separate meters.
Well... as of the end of the month, all EV charging points sold have to have the capacity to monitor and save records of energy usage for at least 12 months, along with the ability to transmit this information on demand to the authorities, so read into that what you will... ;) I'm just glad I have an older, "dumb" charging point!

Well... as of the end of the month, all EV charging points sold have to have the capacity to monitor and save records of energy usage for at least 12 months, along with the ability to transmit this information on demand to the authorities, so read into that what you will... ;) I'm just glad I have an older, "dumb" charging point!
A charging point to suit almost every EV driver then.

L

The point about EV taxes is a good one though. ICE and fuel taxes are a massive income for governments and it has to be replaced somehow. Personally, I'd prefer to see a total overhaul and simplification of the tax system, perhaps based on an income tax only with none of the proliferation into 'social engineering' taxes such as alcohol duty, tobacco duty, air passenger duty , even VAT come to think of it. Just take a cut of my income and leave my spending alone!
I've long been an advocate of simplyfying the tax system by removal of all the stealth taxes. That way we can see the true tax rate, plus all these stealth taxes cost somebody money to administer. For example, I was an unpaid VAT collactor, but doing that work had a cost to me. When they introduced the poll tax, it cost 3% more in admin alone than the 'rates' it replaced - that's an awful lot of money wasted on admin. If you apply that to all the stealth taxes, we must be wasting £billions on admin.

An article in yesterday’s Times newspaper outlined the plans to introduce pricing per mile for EVs were being drawn up by Civil Servants

no surprise to many of us

no timescales though

An article in yesterday’s Times newspaper outlined the plans to introduce pricing per mile for EVs were being drawn up by Civil Servants

no surprise to many of us

no timescales though
Drawing up plans, or feasibility studies, is nothing new. Implementation of such plans is for the politicians to decide on, and that seldom happens if they risk losing votes.

Drawing up plans, or feasibility studies, is nothing new. Implementation of such plans is for the politicians to decide on, and that seldom happens if they risk losing votes.

ANY Government will need to plug the £26 billion hole …..

it’s not a case of IF, it’s just WHEN