Sockets stopped working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo030576

Reaction score
Ive changed a few socket fronts and also added a new socket wired everything up all seems good then screwed first 2 plates got to 3rd plate and noticed red light flickered on switch so stopped checked wires everything seems fine screwed it up now non work Ive checked fuse box everything is on I removed a couple of the sockets to try and eliminate the problem but still nothing any help would be great thanks 

Ive changed a few socket fronts and also added a new socket wired everything up all seems good then screwed first 2 plates got to 3rd plate and noticed red light flickered on switch so stopped checked wires everything seems fine screwed it up now non work Ive checked fuse box everything is on I removed a couple of the sockets to try and eliminate the problem but still nothing any help would be great thanks 

Phrases like, "All seems good"  "Checked wires all seems fine" etc..

generally mean you have actually proved and/or checked nothing..

There are standard dead-tests that should be done to any electrical wiring alterations before re-energising the circuit..

These include continuity / polarity / Insulation resistance.. etc..

If you have an appropriate test meter and have done the above tests..

and you can let us know what readings you are getting...

That may offer us some pointers as to what you have done wrong..

Otherwise its just guesswork..

In which case the quickest, cheapest and safest solution is what ProDave has suggested..

BUT..

You must also remember that the wiring may have had other faults on it before you started you alterations..

Unless you had done suitable preliminary checks before doing your changes?

Also those basic plug-in "socket testers" that give three combinations of lights are limited in what they can prove!

I have been to numerous jobs where an existing circuit, "apparently working", is actually faulty before doing any alterations...

Things like broken ring continuity, missing earth connections, reversed polarity etc.. 

All introduce dangers, but can still allow appliances to work when you plug them in.. even though they are not safe.

And dabbling around and guessing could result in the potential for electric shock..

(which can kill a healthy adult in less than a second!!)

Safest option I think is get some professional help.

:coffee

Phrases like, "All seems good"  "Checked wires all seems fine" etc..

generally mean you have actually proved and/or checked nothing..

There are standard dead-tests that should be done to any electrical wiring alterations before re-energising the circuit..

These include continuity / polarity / Insulation resistance.. etc..

If you have an appropriate test meter and have done the above tests..

and you can let us know what readings you are getting...

That may offer us some pointers as to what you have done wrong..

Otherwise its just guesswork..

In which case the quickest, cheapest and safest solution is what ProDave has suggested..

BUT..

You must also remember that the wiring may have had other faults on it before you started you alterations..

Unless you had done suitable preliminary checks before doing your changes?

Also those basic plug-in "socket testers" that give three combinations of lights are limited in what they can prove!

I have been to numerous jobs where an existing circuit, "apparently working", is actually faulty before doing any alterations...

Things like broken ring continuity, missing earth connections, reversed polarity etc.. 

All introduce dangers, but can still allow appliances to work when you plug them in.. even though they are not safe.

And dabbling around and guessing could result in the potential for electric shock..

(which can kill a healthy adult in less than a second!!)

Safest option I think is get some professional help.

:coffee
Well, as  I see it there are two options, either professional help now, or professional help later, potentially from someone driving a large vehicle with a bed in the back and blue lights on the roof, lol. I've seen loads of stuff that 'works', but like you said, they've lacked earths, or ring continuity or correct polarity!

One of the worst ones was a small commercial premises in Altrincham, the meter board was covered in test stickers going back every 5 years to when it was built 20 years earlier, all the test sheet reported nothing wrong. I tested the earth, there wasn't one, it transpired the PME link had never been connected in the begining, so how was that being tested?

This can happen when there is a rats nest of old junction boxes or choc blocks under the floor or in walls as a result of DIY, bodged rewire etc.  Moving or tugging the cable at the socket introduces a problem you can't 'see' but which is a hazard and will now need dealing with AND THE CIRCUITS PROPERLY TESTED before going any further.

Getting a professional in asap is now the only sensible route