Solar advice for a beginner

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanadsaad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am so glad I found this forum. I have been scouring the net for relevant information but most weren't very helpful with regards to UK and the current price rises. I was hoping to get your thoughts on what Im looking to cover with my solar setup and what I've been quoted for it. My aim for solar installation is to cover our electricity needs (3000kwh/yr). I have electricity and gas but after reading about some setups here, it is possible to get an inverter to heat water with excess electricity so I'd be looking to get that installed as well. Im on the fence with adding an EV to the equation but with rising fuel costs, that looks like an option. I work in the NHS so between regular days and on calls, my fuel cost per month is £300 on average in a Ford Fiesta on current fuel prices. My roof is south facing with a 35 degree tilt with no shading and I live in Barnsley. I have been quoted £11,795 for the following:

16 x Trina 385W Mono All Black panels
Growatt 3.6 Hybrid inverter
2 x 2.4KW Pylon Batteries
Installation

Ive asked for a few more quotes but it seems most companies are booked for surveys as a lot of people are making enquiries. The price seems quite high for what they're installing. My current electric bill is £140 a month for electric and £150 for gas. Would it be worth going down the solar route for savings? Especially if I add a used EV (?Nissan Leaf) down the line to maximise savings? It's a big outlay so I thought id check here and get your advice.

Hi all,

I am so glad I found this forum. I have been scouring the net for relevant information but most weren't very helpful with regards to UK and the current price rises. I was hoping to get your thoughts on what Im looking to cover with my solar setup and what I've been quoted for it. My aim for solar installation is to cover our electricity needs (3000kwh/yr). I have electricity and gas but after reading about some setups here, it is possible to get an inverter to heat water with excess electricity so I'd be looking to get that installed as well. Im on the fence with adding an EV to the equation but with rising fuel costs, that looks like an option. I work in the NHS so between regular days and on calls, my fuel cost per month is £300 on average in a Ford Fiesta on current fuel prices. My roof is south facing with a 35 degree tilt with no shading and I live in Barnsley. I have been quoted £11,795 for the following:

16 x Trina 385W Mono All Black panels
Growatt 3.6 Hybrid inverter
2 x 2.4KW Pylon Batteries
Installation

Ive asked for a few more quotes but it seems most companies are booked for surveys as a lot of people are making enquiries. The price seems quite high for what they're installing. My current electric bill is £140 a month for electric and £150 for gas. Would it be worth going down the solar route for savings? Especially if I add a used EV (?Nissan Leaf) down the line to maximise savings? It's a big outlay so I thought id check here and get your advice.
you could charge your EV on an off-peak deal, ie overnight tariff similar to the old economy 7, your solar won't be much use for charging the car in winter.

Wtaer heating is esiset to achive via a Solic 200, assuming you have a hot water tank and immersion heater.

Thanks a lot Binky! I’ve had another quote come through for:

Ja Solar JAM72S03 380W x 16 panels
Growatt 6kW hybrid inverter
Growatt 6.5kW battery

All of the above for £10,910 and can install within 3 weeks. Is JA solar/Growatt a good company? With prices going up and 10 year warranty on inverter+batteries and 25 on panels, is this a good setup?

Growatt 6.5kW battery

All of the above for £10,910 and can install within 3 weeks. Is JA solar/Growatt a good company? With prices going up and 10 year warranty on inverter+batteries and 25 on panels, is this a good setup?
Hi there

I can't comment on the reliability of this setup but would say that they are established names and likely to be as good as other makes. With the warranties, it would seem fine to me.
Why don't you price up how much you could buy the equipment for? You'll then see the margin the installer is adding as to whether it is a good deal or not. Consider that every man and his dog wants solar just now so prices are a bit inflated with people panicking. But 3 weeks seems a very good lead time.......Almost too good!!:unsure:.

As binky says, don't expect much from your system in the winter months, and bear in mind that the majority of your electrical consumption is in these months.

I'm a DIY installer with no electrical qualifications and these are my experiences with our solar installation:

It is important to not over-specify your setup as you will be generating massively in the summer months for little return from the power companies. You may also be limited as to how much you can export by the DNO. In the winter months generation collapses and there will be days when you're lucky to get a few kwh of power/day. I've had days where we got a massive 0.3kwh!:(.
You also need to see what tariffs are available to you from the power companies. I thought I'd be able to charge batteries in the winter months with Octopus Go. 7.5p/kwh! But you have to have an EV to get the rate.

So, there is much for you to consider.

To give you an idea; our consumption is around 2500kwh. I have 3.6kw of panels facing 3 different directions in order to increase the chances of getting some sun during the day. It's the UK right? Ours is a DIY installation, so we are not eligible for any export tariffs. Self-consumption is therefore crucial to make the system viable. We have the Solic 200 hot water diverter which is fantastic. I will install a 5.2kw battery and 3kw hybrid inverter as soon as they arrive. I believe we will barely use any grid power for the 6 high solar months of the year. For 3 months of the year, we will get a good contribution from the panels and for 3 months we will use mostly grid power. Hopefully, a supplier will introduce a rate similar to Octopus Go that doesn't require an EV to be in residence. If they do, I'll double the battery storage to take advantage.

Growatt 6.5kW battery

JA are fine, not my fave panel but I've fitted quite a few and they seem well made.

Growatt I'm not so keen on, but the inverter is easy to access and change if it does die. Not fitted any of this brand, or their batteries, but they are big enough to probably still be around in 10 years to honor any warranties if there is an issue. What is a little concerning is that they don't offer extended warranties over 10 years, according to my preferred wholesaler.

Hi there

I can't comment on the reliability of this setup but would say that they are established names and likely to be as good as other makes. With the warranties, it would seem fine to me.
Why don't you price up how much you could buy the equipment for? You'll then see the margin the installer is adding as to whether it is a good deal or not. Consider that every man and his dog wants solar just now so prices are a bit inflated with people panicking. But 3 weeks seems a very good lead time.......Almost too good!!:unsure:.

As binky says, don't expect much from your system in the winter months, and bear in mind that the majority of your electrical consumption is in these months.

I'm a DIY installer with no electrical qualifications and these are my experiences with our solar installation:

It is important to not over-specify your setup as you will be generating massively in the summer months for little return from the power companies. You may also be limited as to how much you can export by the DNO. In the winter months generation collapses and there will be days when you're lucky to get a few kwh of power/day. I've had days where we got a massive 0.3kwh!:(.
You also need to see what tariffs are available to you from the power companies. I thought I'd be able to charge batteries in the winter months with Octopus Go. 7.5p/kwh! But you have to have an EV to get the rate.

To give you an idea; our consumption is around 2500kwh. I have 3.6kw of panels facing 3 different directions in order to increase the chances of getting some sun during the day. It's the UK right? Ours is a DIY installation, so we are not eligible for any export tariffs. Self-consumption is therefore crucial to make the system viable. We have the Solic 200 hot water diverter which is fantastic. I will install a 5.2kw battery and 3kw hybrid inverter as soon as they arrive. I believe we will barely use any grid power for the 6 high solar months of the year. For 3 months of the year, we will get a good contribution from the panels and for 3 months we will use mostly grid power. Hopefully, a supplier will introduce a rate similar to Octopus Go that doesn't require an EV to be in residence. If they do, I'll double the battery storage to take advantage.
Hi, i spoke to octopus recently to discuss the ev tarrif and was told that there is actually no proof of an ev required, so in theory, anyone could use that tariff.. Im hoping he was right, as im hoping to take advantage of it, and i dont have an ev.....

Hi, i spoke to octopus recently to discuss the ev tarrif and was told that there is actually no proof of an ev required, so in theory, anyone could use that tariff.. Im hoping he was right, as im hoping to take advantage of it, and i dont have an ev.....
Worth a try. They stressed to me that an EV was required. Anyone on here using it I wonder? If so, were you asked to confirm you have an EV?
Seems a ridiculous condition anyway. You're just charging a battery right?!

What if you had an EV then you sold it ?
What proof do they require you own an EV
Don’t read the meters so sure they ain’t going check if you’ve an EV

Growatt 6.5kW battery

Thats a much better system than the first one you mentioned, the bigger inverter output is useful. Consider adding MyEnergi EDDI and ZAPPI, EDDI is the power diverter for your hot water and ZAPPI is the EV Wallbox. I suggest these over other ones mentioned because they work well together, you can set priorities easily and the likes of ZAPPI are being included in various trials for charging control etc.
You should definitely make the move to an EV, 3 years ago I was spending £120 per week on fuel, changed to an EV and with the same use I didn't spend £120 in a whole year. In terms of solar and batteries, I have a very similar setup to you, i had been paying £178 per month for electricity and gas, the tariff went up in April to £565 I calculated it should be £465 which is what I paid. In with the solar and battery, we have paid around £60 per month ever since. It definitely works, you do need a good off peak tariff though such as Octopus GO to make best use of it all.

Hi there

Hi,

Having a look on the Octopus website you don’t need an EV to get on the GO tariff, just a smart meter.

https://octopus.energy/blog/go-faqs/
Thanks

Norton3000

I have an EV and am on octopus go.
But I certainly don't remember them asking me if I have an EV or give them any details about it when I joined !
And they definitely didn't ask if I still had it when I renewed for another 12 months a few weeks ago.
If it is requirement its buried in the small print somewhere and not heavily checked.

I have an EV and am on octopus go.
But I certainly don't remember them asking me if I have an EV or give them any details about it when I joined !
And they definitely didn't ask if I still had it when I renewed for another 12 months a few weeks ago.
If it is requirement its buried in the small print somewhere and not heavily checked.
They never used to specify you had to have an EV, that happened about a year ago. It's definitely not hidden in small print its there quite bold along with the need of a SMETZ 2 smart meter, see my reply above to Norton3000. They dont seem to check, and they dont ask on renewal.