Solar / Feed In Tariff Issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockett

Reaction score
I’m not experienced with Solar Panels by any means so help/advice would be appreciated.

I moved into a new build house on a new development a couple of years ago, which has solar panels on the roof. At the time of buying, it was considered a bonus, with the housing developers telling me that we benefitted from free electricity during the hours of 07:00 to 19:00. Other than that, they were very cagy when probed with further questions about the setup, but in the haste of needing to move it wasn’t something of huge priority to me.

I later find out that the free electricity we receive is only what is being generated at that time. Any surplus build up at the end of the day gets put back into the grid.

A while ago I tried to register for a feed in tariff with our supplier British Gas, only to find out after a lot of form filling, that the property address has already been registered meaning I was not able to do so. I was a bit disgruntled but left it be.

I recently received a notification that First Utility (Siemens) had been round to read the meter (nobody in), followed by a letter asking to rearrange a reading (with a possible charge!) or our feed in tariff would be suspended. The letter was address to a person that I do not know.

But I do not have a feed in tariff I thought!

I then receive a letter from the company that installed the solar panels on behalf of the builders, requesting that I contact Siemens to arrange a reading in order to continue receiving free electricity.

So, my main question is how do you control how the solar system works with regard to the hours of free electricity? Is it something that can be done remotely? Otherwise, in theory, there is no way of them stopping the free electricity that I receive – only their feed in tariff would be suspended. Which doesn’t affect me anyway! 

Can I change the setup? Basically it would be good to know how I could get one over on the people that are making money out of my house!

Thanks

Yep, you are basically in a situation where your house is worth a lot LOT less than the market value,

You need to look into the terms of your purchase very closely,

Tbh, I'd be having your solicitor in court for failing to notice this. 

It sounds like your builder had fitted what is generally known as "rent a roof".

So someone else paid for the panels to be installed, and they get the FIT, hence it's already registered. and hence why a meter reading is needed.

As Steps says, with that system it will devalue your house.

YOUR solicitor needs shooting for not drawing your attention to the details. Basically you have signed a 20, or 25 year free lease on your roof for them to have their panels on it, and collect the FIT payments for what it generates.  The builder should have been open about the arrangement and your solicitor should have informed you of the benefits (which amounts to just the free daytime electricity) and pitfalls, which is someone having a charge on your roof and you not being free to do with it as you wish.

You will get free electricity during daylight hours (obviously depends on the time of year) but that free electricity can only be used as it's being generated.  Useful if you are home in the day and can use the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher etc one at a time in the daylight hours.  Alternatively fit one of the solar PV dump controllers to send excess power automatically to an immersion heater to give you free hot water.

I have no idea at all how all this "rent a roof" thing works, but i presume, [and others on this forum will know] that if a leasehold has been created out of the title to your house, then, presumably it would be a "registerable interest" and would appear in the charges register on your land cert. Go to  the land registry website; https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

Pay your £3 or whatever it is now, and get a copy of your land cert and see what it says [they might call it the title register or somesuch]

john..

You've been stitched. Easiest way to get your own back is to switch the system off unless you are using the washing machine or something so you can benefit from the electric generated. Look for big red rotary switch next to the inverter.

Other than that you seriously need to check contracts signed as suggetsed above. In the meantime, there is no convienient time to access meter, and tell the solar owner you don't want free electric. You can also make representation to the RECC, all solar installers are required to be members of the Renewable Energy Consumer Council, who take a dim view of sharp practice.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I will take comments on board and decide what to do!

I've worked for one of the rent a roof lot and i think they have it sorted so you'll be breaking some law if you take them off. Why would they put them on the roof if they had no leverage?

Latest posts