Solar Fuel For Jets?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EU-funded research project aims to produce solar kerosene [SIZE=10pt]29.04.2014: A research project funded by the EU is attempting to develop a jet fuel based on simulated sunlight. The project, named Solar-Jet, is currently at the experimental stage and has so far only produced a glassful of jet fuel under laboratory conditions. The scientists from Swiss research institute ETH Zürich have been able to convert water and carbon dioxide to synthesis gas (Syngas) in a high-temperature solar reactor. The Syngas was then converted into kerosene by the world’s largest oil company, Shell, using the Fischer-Tropsch process. The Solar-Jet project was launched in 2011 and has received €2 million ($2.7 million) from the EU. European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science Máire Geoghegan-Quinn said: »This technology means we might one day produce cleaner and plentiful fuel for planes, cars and other forms of transport. This could greatly increase energy security and turn one of the main greenhouse gases responsible for global warming into a useful resource.« © PHOTON[/SIZE]

http://www.solar-jet.aero

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-481_en.htm

[SIZE=10pt]Die vollständige Pressemitteilung finden Sie auch im PHOTON-Archiv unter folgendem Link:[/SIZE]

http://www.photon.info/newsletter/document/85667.pdf

Git! I was planning to be the first poster here with my hybrid solar/compost/cat turd reactor shaped like a beloved cartoon character (so NOT joking)!  :lol: Good post though.

What's the betting the oil companies stamp on it or invest so heavily that it'll cost US the same as conventional fuel?

getting quite a few research ideas like this posted on various Linkdin forums, and they are mostly from Africa and India where it seems big companies don't rule and Pat Pending probably means nothing.

I work with ex Ghurka engineers. Where they grew up it was the norm to have a basic bio gas plant in the back yard. Dig a big hole, line with bricks and create a sealed brick dome atop. Their Mum would go out and add a bucket of "slurry" from the animal pen each afternoon and agitate with a long stick. Enough gas produced to cook the evening meal and run the gas lights for the kids to do their homework. Tbh we're spoilt in the West I think. Communal bio-gas plants have been common in China for years and are now getting big in Africa using human and animal waste but in India where they could benefit from it hugely the subject is a bit taboo!

Tbh I "go" a couple of times a day..............seems a huge waste!  :lol:

The cistercian monastery in Portglenone (Google it) has had a bio gas system for years now. 
No sh........!

I've got a big back garden (not a euphanism), on a slope. Had a mad idea of an outside loo at the top of the slope (where I could disappear with the paper each afternoon to "prime" the system. This then would gravity feed into a digester / biogas set up in tandem with a separate feed pipe for garden waste. On the "out" of the digester you take the "compost" produced to a vegetable plot further down the hill. Possible a solar thermal panel to keep the digester at a reasonable temperature. EPDM membrane atop the digester expands as gas is produced - tap off that to feed a gennie, water heater etc.

All a pipe dream at the moment........on the back burner............ :coat

Last edited by a moderator:
bio gas is nothing new - WW2 certainly pushed it forward with lots of heath-robinson contraptions around.

I do wonder about you ON-OFF, 10 out of 10 for having a very creative imagination :Applaud

This forum would be a duller place without you OnOff, I tune in for your latest creative imaginative thought, this time next year we'll be ..............................