Solar, lots of newbie questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rok

Reaction score
Hi there,

very new and completely ignorant about everything regarding solar panels. I don't know anything about the technicalities and I'm struggling even to find the most basic info. I tried the whole week to contact Scottishpower since I saw on their website they do install solar panels. However, I could not manage to find a direct number with the company that works for them and yesterday after multiple lengthy calls they gave me an email; sent a message but who knows when they reply. Here's my main questions:

I live in a semidetached house (4 flats in one block) in Edinburgh, downstairs and the roof is in common with my neighbour upstairs.

Do I need a planning permission? How do I get that? Would the solar panel company help me to get that if I decide to install? (I approached one in Fife and they said I need a lawyer for planning permission?!?)

On the Scottishpower site they mention grants for installing the solar panels. That'd be good since the panels are extremely expensive. How to get that?

Being connected to the grid would give you more chances to get grants for installation?

I've no idea about types of panels and no knowledge whatsoever about technical details. I just would like to know if it's more financially convenient to use a solar panels company that works for Scottishpower.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Rok

Last edited by a moderator:
Your biggest issue is a shared roof, unless you actually own it, it's not yours to put panels on.

Have a read through the numerous solar posts on here and you will be very educated by the end.
Thanks for that but I don't think the roof is an issue. In fact my neighbour is fine with that but it's all the rest and the logistics which are the problem. Why do they make it so difficult even to find the most basic information?

Rok

Thanks for that but I don't think the roof is an issue. In fact my neighbour is fine with that but it's all the rest and the logistics which are the problem. Why do they make it so difficult even to find the most basic information?

Rok
OK, planning is not generally needed if nothing protrudes over ridge line, which the panels shouldn't anyway, unless you are in a conservation area. Scotland may be different to English law in this regard.

But I would also say, your neigbours might be Ok with it, but if one of you sells up and moves on, solicitors may not see it that way. I think you would have to get some legal consent to say the roof is totally your responsibility, so the other thing I would say, if the roof is getting old and ropey, that could be expensive for you if it needs repairing / replacing somewhere down the line.

Roof's rights aside.

What are you struggling to find?
Do you know the size of your roof to estimate the number of panels that can be fitted?
What direction does your roof face?
What is your annual electricity consumption in kWh?
Why do you want PV Panels for? (just to cover your need, knowing you won t be able to cover 100%. Or you want to generate as much as possible in order to sell what you do not use)

I would say this is a start.

We can talk later about the different brands of panels, if your roof is exposed to shading, if you need batteries and if so what type etc..

Rok
Who owns the freehold and therefore owns the roof??

If that is not you, then you will find that installing anything is trespass.. You do not want to go down that road..

john

Latest posts