Solar PV vs Grid

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

coulter

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I am considering having solar PV panels installed with a grid tie invertor and have a basic question that I am struggling to find the answer to:
If my PV system is generating say 2kw at a given time and I turn on say a 2kw convector heater, will the 2kw come from the PV system and 0kw from the grid or will 1kw come from the PV and 1kw from the grid?
I would have thought that the load would be spread evenly across the two supplies and if that's not the case then what causes the total load to only come from the PV system?
Your thoughts and help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks.

binky

eco warrior......™
Reaction score
your inverter will monitor grid voltage and output a few volts higher, so like water at a higher level, energy will flow from the solar first, grid second.

coulter

Reaction score
Hi Binky,
Thank you for your reply, and yes very good illustration and explanation. However, would that not mean that the majority of the supply would run from the higher voltage or higher pressure, but yet some would run from the lower voltage or lower pressure too?
Many Thanks.

binky

eco warrior......™
Reaction score
If there's insufficient leccy from the panels, it tops up from the grid. If you have sufficient from the panels, then it pulls nothing from the grid. If you are generating more from the panels than you need, it backfeeds into the grid.

Latest posts