Solar System Review

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bob, yes it is a Solis hybrid inverter. I have only been on the Agile tariff for a week so no bill has yet been generated, however I believe the import cost is around 35p/kWh and varies - see this website(www.octopusreferral.link/octopus-energy-agile-tariff) for details and a link to the energy-stats website that shows historic and current cost data.
Interestingly and confusingly, 2 different support personnel advised that the import tariff was the standard variable capped tariff - I queried that with a third who confirmed it was the higher Agile import rate- so they seem confused themselves. The first bill will be revealing.
This last seven days I have imported no more than 3kWh a day (total 8kWh) and have exported 121. The weather has been exceptionally good, of course, so it won’t last, but right now I should have paid for the standing charge and be making a few bob😊
Hi @Slateral I am sorry for my late reply. I must have overlooked the notification.
Thank you for your reply. I look forward from your feedback if you don't mind. I think by September/October I should have my additional system in place and knowing what the DNO will authorize me I will have to decide which export tariff. I see there is no thread to talk about pros and cons of the different options. and why chose one over the other etc.. You may want to contribute :)

2. I wanted the fuse box with the export meter to be installed in attic next to inverter with the rest of the equipment but was told it wasn't possible due to 3m distance requirement and that's why it's outside next to grid connection to house. The Inverter is on the same wall/side of the house and directly above the outdoor meter boxes. Is this right or could it have all been installed in attic?

Hello
I know this is an old post but I thought I'll share my experience.
I got my system installed in January 2016 2 days before a change in the FIT (so they were all crazy mad to install all the systems before that cutover date).
The electrician came on a Sunday around mid-day to finish the installation. I have my inverter in the attic. For the generation meter (I had no idea what one looked like), I wanted it next to my import meter. He told me that was not possible because it cannot be outside and it is best next to the inverter.
My generation is consequently now next to my inverter in my attic.

Then I noticed that the generation meter is exactly the same type as my import meter. I started to think that the guy simply could not bother to draw more lines. Yep, he had other jobs to do that day!!

Since I am on a Fit. I regularly have a visit to take a reading of my generation meter. Every time (because it is never the same person) they say, why do you have it in the attic? Once the guy refused to climb up the ladder for H&S reasons he said.

As they say, you don't know what you don't know.

Here it is for the little story.

Hello
I know this is an old post but I thought I'll share my experience.
I got my system installed in January 2016 2 days before a change in the FIT (so they were all crazy mad to install all the systems before that cutover date).
The electrician came on a Sunday around mid-day to finish the installation. I have my inverter in the attic. For the generation meter (I had no idea what one looked like), I wanted it next to my import meter. He told me that was not possible because it cannot be outside and it is best next to the inverter.
My generation is consequently now next to my inverter in my attic.

Then I noticed that the generation meter is exactly the same type as my import meter. I started to think that the guy simply could not bother to draw more lines. Yep, he had other jobs to do that day!!

Since I am on a Fit. I regularly have a visit to take a reading of my generation meter. Every time (because it is never the same person) they say, why do you have it in the attic? Once the guy refused to climb up the ladder for H&S reasons he said.

As they say, you don't know what you don't know.

Here it is for the little story.
Yeah, I am kind of glad that mine was put outside now after reading your story. I didn't think it was something that needed to be viewed, I thought it was just a breaker box, which it is mostly apart from that little export meter.