[SOLVED] Battery keeps draining (going flat) on my Fiat Ulysse. Fault diagnosis guide

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar thing this morning...

But, Normally there are no lights on the dash when I put the ignition on...

... This time there was, albeit, not full power. and a load of clicking.

Please refer to the video on youtube, below. Please ensure that you have your sound on to a decent level.

Thanks.

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e42Upgs1LCc&hl=en&fs=1& allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

I had to get my other car battery out, along with the jump leads before I could start it. :_|

</EMBED>

have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight?

may be that the battery is broke and is not holding charge, but you think its something draining the battery?

The battery I am using now - is off of my other car (now a donor) to this car.

That was used daily and no problems at all with it.

But in answer to your question, Andy. No, mate - I haven't.

I will charge a battery up and put that on the car, then I try it. followed by a "disconnection" overnight.

:(

Admin,

The heavy clicking you can hear in your video is the engagement solenoid on the pre-engaged starter throwing out then dropping back as the voltage drops in the battery, once it drops back it is de-energised and you have a back emf in the circuit this then throws the yolk forward again etc.

Depending on the situation in the a.m. give me a ring as I am in my unit tomorrow night and I have probably all the test kit there including battery tester for car batteries, and a clamp meter which is sufficient to measure battery leakage current, it is also IN DOORS!

I will also have a technician from the big local BMW dealership there with me, and he is not a typical main dealer technician, he has worked on all makes. He did not train at the main dealer, he trained at a small all makes garage and then kept himself in training from there.

We have a few jobs to do but we can spare an hour to look at the Fiat if you want.

Paul

p.s.

Out early later, so won't be back on if you want me txt or phone!

Thanks Sidewinder.

The olde Ulsysse started first time, this morning.

Although it was still cold - it was milder than it has been.

Soooo, Ad, What did you do different?

Apart from warm up the overnight temperature!.

Mind to me you still look frozen!

No meat on the bones see.

Lol, Sidewinder.

It was flat again this morning. :_|

(I didn't disconnect it overnight either). :(

He did tonight, as we were back there, we found the article draining the battery in about 15 minutes between us.

Now Admin just has to swap it out for his donor and see what happens.

It was drawing a continuous 1A approx.

He did tonight, as we were back there, we found the article draining the battery in about 15 minutes between us.Now Admin just has to swap it out for his donor and see what happens.

It was drawing a continuous 1A approx.
going to share what it was?

something already suggested in this thread?

No the item drawing the load was an under bonnet double relay.

We did not have time to check the function, however the plug as corroded & overheated and the pins on the potted relay unit were also corroded.

We blew it out with compressed air and washed out with electrical cleaner but still the same.

Admin is gonna take it off the car tonight to prove the point then try an alternative he has and perhaps splice a new section of loom in from his donor car to replace the damaged plug.

The main issue remains is that IF there is another latent fault energising the relay away from the damaged unit & attendant plug.

Ad?...

Nah mate nowt there that looks similar this is rectangular with around a 20 way waterproof multiplug with miniature spade females in with a retainin clip, my guess would be a Magnetti Marelli (as the relay was) made specifically for the engien loom for Fiat.

As I gather Ad has a donor car so he should be able to swap both bits from that.

Thanks Sidewinder. :x

Indeed I did detatch the "Double Relay" off of the car and kept it indoors throughout lastnight.

Although, I did give the car a good run, (not the usual local run) - I put the "Double Relay" back on this morning and It started great - Full power in the battery. Just as it should be.

Much easier to fault find when there is more than one of you. Three in this case.

So a big Thank you to Sidewinder and his Mate. I sure do appreciate it. :Applaud :Salute

I will take a photo of the part, later - so others will know what it looks like and where it is located.

The Pics of where the Double Relay is located on a 1995 / 1996 2.0L Petrol Fiat Ulysse...

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_0-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_1-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_3-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_2-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_5-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_6-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_7-1.jpg

Fiat_Ulysse_Double_Relay_20L_Petrol_8-1.jpg

Latest posts