Some Electrics Have Stopped Working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollies

Reaction score
Hi
I assume I will have to call out an electrician but wondered if there is anything I could try myself before looking for a pro.

OK, this is what's happened. My son used my electric sander outside in the garden - he plugged it into an external waterproof socket. After using it, we discovered all the sockets in the living room aren't working - the room is immediately behind the external garden waterproof socket. The bedroom upstairs, immediately above the living room - none of the sockets are working but the ceiling light is. Upstairs bedrooms on the other side of the house are fine. The power has completely gone in the garage and - lights and sockets. The garage has it's own mini consumer unit but nothing has tripped.

The main fuse board in the kitchen - nothing has tripped at all. My cooker is Electric but that isn't working.

There is a T button which is for testing on the main consumer unit and also on the mini consumer unit in the garage. I've pressed it but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there anything else I can try before calling out an electrician. For info, house was rewired 5 years ago.

The consumer unit indoors says MK by Honeywell.

None of the black switches are down. I've tried putting them all down, then switching on again. I've tried the big red main switch on and off.

if in doubt turn off the garage unit and then try turning the switches next to the T buttons in the main unit off and on again. Sounds like one of the 2 RCDs has tripped and if the fault remains it will not reset

Trying to work out how to upload.

I tried the T test again but it just switched the remaining electrics off. When switched back on, still no different. Will upload pics in a minute.

The 'rcd protected circuits' to the right has tripped. Push the black toggle switch down then up and see if it stays on.

Hi

I've tried that and it still doesn't stay up. I guess I will have to get an electrician to come out - I've seen the same MK rcd on-line at screwfix, but I assume this isn't a DIY job?

Just as murdoch says

The,one in the middle above the green RCD sticker has tripped
Flick it DOWN then UP and it should,reset
No, its not resetting. Have switched the garage one off too.

Electrician on Monday? I can run an extn lead for the garage freezer for now.

I'm getting somewhere......

The cooker is now working. I flicked the others up but at some point that tripped it again. Going for one at a time now. Sorry, I mis-read.

OK, I tried the garage but nothing is happening. Also, the consumer unit had tripped again. I have reset it and done one switch at a time. It trips on number 9 and number 12. I don't know what number 12 is - perhaps this is something to do with the garage? The garage was only done about 18 months ago.

The main thing is, 90% of electrics are working inside the house now - including the cooker.

I will leave everything tonight and then maybe tomorrow afternoon I can post more questions before deciding if I need an electrician on Monday.

Thank you all for your help - it's a relief to have gotten this far.

The RCD circuits to the right are still tripping. As soon as you turn the oven on, it all trips. Tried with the oven circuit switched off and it trips after a little while. Tried with all of the circuits to the right off and after about 10 mins, you hear the RCD breaker thing trip again - that's with nothing on to the right of it. Off to work now :-(