some questions questions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonpig

Reaction score
Brace yourself this could take some time

In KME's immersion heater thread specs mentiond fitting a temporary socket to the immersion heater cable, well today i saw this in practice where the immersion heater had been removed/blanked off and the immersion heater feed had a socket connected permanently. The circuit was protected by a 15 amp wylex rewireable cartridge fuse.

I am curious to if this is common practice when the immersion heater is removed?

Also i am curious if the circuit could be used as a radial if more sockets were needed to be added?

On a side note i need to move a thermostat from the top of the stairs to the bottom of the stairs, because of both a lack of access and the homeowner not wanting a lot of dissruption i cant chase the cable into the wall so it will have to be surface run.

The problem with that is that the box room has had a built in wardrobe installed, so the wall above the stairs has that awkward shape you know where it drops vertical then slopes in 45 degrees before it runs horizontal to merge with the downstairs ceiling (i hope you know understand what i mean, it is the standard way of installing a buikt in wardrobe but is hard to describe in writing), the other problem is the walls has textured paint to fixing any trunking will mean removeing a load of the paint.

What do you reckon is the best way to run the cable round the odd shaped wall? ideally i would run the cable tight in the cornr of the walls/ wall and ceiling but trunking only do 90 degree angles.

Got any advice? What do you reckon is best? How would you run it?

Lastly, what do you guys think about coied trunking? (never used it myself, mainly because i try to avoid trunking like the plauge)

I hate trunking it looks pants. X(

Why not use the immersion feed to power a socket or sockets? As long as correct fuse was installed at some point (why not change MCB for a 16A one?). Hell why not contuinue all the way back to the CU and make it into a ring;). So long as it's fused correctly?

I dunno:D

Theo.

My thoughts exactly, r.e. the stat. Wireless would be the way to go on this, methinks. probably comparable cost to the customer, when compared with the time spent faffing about with the everloving trunking.

As for the immersion socket. It`s a circuit, whose original function is no longer required. As long as the 3036 is re-labelled acordingly, there is no reason why it cannot form a socket outlet radial. Or a take-off point for a garage supply. Or anything else, for that matter. I`d also look at putting a plug-in mcb in place of the 3036; but I wouldn`t mess about with creating a ring. They`re more trouble that they`re worth, in my opinion!

I`d also look at putting a plug-in mcb in place of the 3036;

I have some in stock. ;)

Cheers guys:D.

Yeah i hate trunking aswellX( but sometimes you are just forced to use it, when i do have to use trunking i like to use D-line, its much easier on the eye and sometimes if you run it in the right place you can almost get away with it not being notceable;).

In the past i have only ever replaced room stats not move them, good idea about using a wireless and to be honest i never even thought about it (stupid me:8}).

I have never installed one before, is it all simple enough to install? i assume its a transmitter and reciever and the reciever goes where the old room stat was hard wired to the old room stat cable.

Lastly, what do you guys think about coied trunking? (never used it myself, mainly because i try to avoid trunking like the plauge)
Coiled trunking...?

I avoid it like offering to pay more TAX!! Hate the stuff..:_| X(

If you got to use trunking get the ridged stuff!! ;) ; )

Coiled trunking...?I avoid it like offering to pay more TAX!! Hate the stuff..:_| X(

If you got to use trunking get the ridged stuff!! ;) ; )
Yeah i have never used it myself, but a spark i was talking to loves the stuff and kept on banging on about how quick it is to install, he works for the council though so i should have known better to listen to him;) :D :^O.

You ever used D-line before specs? What you think to it?

Yeah i have never used it myself, but a spark i was talking to loves the stuff and kept on banging on about how quick it is to install, he works for the council though so i should have known better to listen to him;) :D :^O.You ever used D-line before specs? What you think to it?
Nop.. as said don't use much trunking at all.. unless its a non-domestic job where decor and eye-sore are not a main concern!

Just thinking of last few places any trunking I used it...

mostly to tidy up drops to a CU.. e.g the 50mm square stuff..

hide numerous wires nice and neat in the pantry down to CU.

All I can remember of coiled was with my old job.. employer thought it good and easy to keep coiled trunking in the motor..

Yep.. great for storage & transportation.. But to measure cut & fix to the wall..

Pain in the Ar_e.

guess where the missing "s" goes??? :eek: :D:D

I've used D-line for long drops and it doesn't look too bad at all but you need to buy their own accessory boxes to make it look really good.

Nop.. as said don't use much trunking at all.. unless its a non-domestic job where decor and eye-sore are not a main concern!
I like your style specs and as my adopted mentor i guess i better follow suit;) :D

I agree for domestc i much preferto pull boards and chase walls, but sometimes as in this instance the homeowner wont allow it so there isnt really any other option which i find really frustrating, oh well at least i dont have to look at it everyday;).

Pain in the Ar_e.

guess where the missing "s" goes???
I was never any good at hangman:8} ;) :^O

I've used D-line for long drops and it doesn't look too bad at all but you need to buy their own accessory boxes to make it look really good.
Yeah when i have got use trunking its my preferred weapon of choice, and dont know if you have noticed though but they dont do a ceiling rose adaptor (probally for the best though;) :D )

Hey specs as it seems the best plan of attack would be a wireless stat, and due to me never haveing installled one before have you got any advice/hints/tips to the installation method? or is it all simple enough?

As for the immersion socket. It`s a circuit, whose original function is no longer required. As long as the 3036 is re-labelled acordingly, there is no reason why it cannot form a socket outlet radial. Or a take-off point for a garage supply. Or anything else, for that matter. I`d also look at putting a plug-in mcb in place of the 3036; but I wouldn`t mess about with creating a ring. They`re more trouble that they`re worth, in my opinion!
So the radial would be fine on a 16a protective device? or should it be updated to 20a (assumeing its 2.5mm, i havent checked yet:8} X( )

Hey specs as it seems the best plan of attack would be a wireless stat, and due to me never haveing installled one before have you got any advice/hints/tips to the installation method? or is it all simple enough?
Simple enough me thinks. ;) :)

One "powered" end joins to boiler control circuit...

One battery controlled thermostat end to switch on/off via wireless!

If you want more info have a search around suppliers sites for their tech/installation info..

e.g. could try TLC... Heating

I like your style specs.....
:D :) :):8}:8} :x cheers m8 ;) Guiness Drink

..............and as my adopted mentor..........
??? ?:|

hmm.... dunno about that bit?

There is plenty of other folks on here with many a wise word that you would do well to follow..... as well;)

I think only my wife calls me "Mentor" as in....

What you doin sittin there at that computer??

you are not 'mentor' be doin that.... :(

you are 'mentor' be decoratin the house!!!

:| :_| :p :^O:^O:^O:^O

Latest posts