sparks own house

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if an electrician rewires his own house,

does that mean it doesnt require 30mA protection?

it is after all,,,

"under the supervision of an instructed person"

discuss.....

Hope you're not putting yourself down Steptoe, thought you was a "Skilled Person" even though probably Instructed at all times by Mrs Steptoe.

If the property was only used whilst YOU were in it, then I would be tempted to "technically" allow it!. BUT I wouldn`t do it. Eventually, you`re likely to sell up. Or, looking at it from another POV, you could go out one morning, and be run over by a bus. Then the property would have to be rewired, all because the skilled person wasn`t there anymore.

But, bclearner`s post was wittier. 1 bonus scoob

Indeed Mr Step's....

Once done...

You have got to stay in forever...

To supervise the installation?

No more trips to the pub leaving sockets unsupervised! :eek: ] :) ]:) ] :)

if an electrician rewires his own house,does that mean it doesnt require 30mA protection?

it is after all,,,

discuss.....
:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

if an electrician rewires his own house,does that mean it doesnt require 30mA protection?

it is after all,,,

discuss.....
I wondered about that loophole and if it could apply to electricians houses. However, as said above, you'd have to upgrade the CU if you moved out!

Wonder if my LABC would allow it? :^O

it is after all,,,

discuss.....
That covers you and your family

but what if someone visits ,,,,,by that rule you need to instruct them before they step into the house and you then cannot leave.

unless you leave them in the yard

could work for the mother-in-law ]:) ] :) ]:)

it is after all,,,

discuss.....
Bloody hell another excuse for her not to operate the dishwasher / hoover / washing machine when I'm out :^O

If the property was only used whilst YOU were in it, then I would be tempted to "technically" allow it!. BUT I wouldn`t do it. Eventually, you`re likely to sell up. Or, looking at it from another POV, you could go out one morning, and be run over by a bus. Then the property would have to be rewired, all because the skilled person wasn`t there anymore. But, bclearner`s post was wittier. 1 bonus scoob
always the optimist......

EH....?

as it is I see NO reason I cant wire my house how I like, whatever happens AFTER I move out has no bearing on me, its upto the next owner to ensure the dwelling meets the current regs.

as it happens I am in the process of re-wiring my house, and TBH the 17th can go jump, as can part P.

they can take me to court and try (unsuccessfully) to prove my house isnt safe.

(do you really think I would have my missus and 3month old in an unsafe property?)

I am not totally abiding by BS7671 (SURPRISE! hardly), but I will not sacrifice my families safety either.

I was just wondering if anyone could come up with a valid argument to this or not,

seems a few people have had it on their minds tho,. ; \

no probs kme,

I am NOT going to be putting my cooker on a 30mA just because the sw FCU doesnt have it engraved on it, nor will my fridge be either.

(how stoopid are the regs, if its engraved then its ok not to be 30mA.!?! WTF)

my bathroom will be 30mA, but i WILL be bonding it,

all sockets will be 30mA radial 16A, but for the kid, not 17th, with the exception of kitchen, 25A 4mm radials(not on RCD), prob 3 off, plus extra fixed points of course(fridge/wash etc) ,

smokes will NOT be RCD, nor will alarm.

just a thought as to how would you feel about this?

the main switch will be 100mA.

I originally thought this topic might have got more interest, seems not, woulda been good to have a few more points of interest/suggestions as to why/why not do it.

no probs kme,I am NOT going to be putting my cooker on a 30mA just because the sw FCU doesnt have it engraved on it, nor will my fridge be either.

(how stoopid are the regs, if its engraved then its ok not to be 30mA.!?! WTF)
Yeah, I can go along with that; though, in all honesty, why not have an rcd on `em? Cooker could develop a fault!

my bathroom will be 30mA, but i WILL be bonding it,
Whatever makes you happy!!!

all sockets will be 30mA radial 16A,

but for the kid, not 17th,
EH????

with the exception of kitchen, 25A 4mm radials(not on RCD)
Why not m8? and 25A? What breaker/fuse is that?

, prob 3 off, plus extra fixed points of course(fridge/wash etc) ,smokes will NOT be RCD, nor will alarm.
Again, Why???

just a thought as to how would you feel about this?the main switch will be 100mA.
TT??

I originally thought this topic might have got more interest, seems not, woulda been good to have a few more points of interest/suggestions as to why/why not do it.
I`m interested. Can`t speak for anyone else my friend!

Martyn

Yeah, I can go along with that; though, in all honesty, why not have an rcd on `em? Cooker could develop a fault!Whatever makes you happy!!!

EH????

Why not m8? and 25A? What breaker/fuse is that?

Again, Why???

TT??

I`m interested. Can`t speak for anyone else my friend!

Martyn
ive got a 3month old, thats why I'll put ALL skts on 30mA,

ckr coulda developed a fault in 15th or 16th and was fine without an RCD.(gas hob, elec dble oven)

I really cant believe none of you guys ever use 25a MCBs.... mate at work wouldnt believe me they existed till I showed him one.

dont want smokes tripping off unknowingly(ref sentence 1)they will be linked to landing light, non 30mA.

100mA is something Ive done quite a lot in certain properties where i feel vunerable people live(ie, elderly etc) just that added edge without the nuisance of excessive tripping, (Im TN-S btw)

another thing I will be doing is something I used to do for houses in the sticks and limits the shock hazard in the bathroom is to down fuse the bathroom light from the shower circuit and fit an emergency pack, power cut when your in the shower you still have a light. plus under fault conditions you only have one MCB(40A) to trip rather than 2,(40+6=46A)!

I agree about cooker/ovens/ hobs being put through 30mA rcds they are fixed equipment if a fault develops they will blow the circuit breaker. This business of putting them through rcds is going to cause a lot of callouts. I am under british standards for my part p and my accessor like me does not think its a good idea. ok if they have got to go through an rcd make it 100mA time delay then if the diyers do drill into the cable it will trip maybe not quite as quick as 30mA but it will trip.

ive got a 3month old, thats why I'll put ALL skts on 30mA,ckr coulda developed a fault in 15th or 16th and was fine without an RCD.(gas hob, elec dble oven)

I really cant believe none of you guys ever use 25a MCBs.... mate at work wouldnt believe me they existed till I showed him one.

dont want smokes tripping off unknowingly(ref sentence 1)they will be linked to landing light, non 30mA.

100mA is something Ive done quite a lot in certain properties where i feel vunerable people live(ie, elderly etc) just that added edge without the nuisance of excessive tripping, (Im TN-S btw)

another thing I will be doing is something I used to do for houses in the sticks and limits the shock hazard in the bathroom is to down fuse the bathroom light from the shower circuit and fit an emergency pack, power cut when your in the shower you still have a light. plus under fault conditions you only have one MCB(40A) to trip rather than 2,(40+6=46A)!
Agree ref all skts on RCD - makes sense.

Yes, ckr could`ve developed a fault before; but that is the sort of comment that, TBH, I`d expect from a customer, not a sparx.

Honestly have never seen or heard of 25A MCB. Maybe I`ve had a sheltered life........

"smokes tripping unknowingly"? The only reason they should trip is if the cable gets damaged; or an alarm goes u/s! If the power DID "unknowingly" trip, then 1) you "should" spot it on your `weekly` look at them, and 2) the backup batts would keep them working; albeit with an occasional "beep", which ought to alert you to a problem anyway.

The 100mA - I`ve heard of it done, but, in a situation as you describe, I usually fill the board with rcbo`s.

As for the shower - the em. light. Yes, I can see the logic in that; but I`m not that struck on the "single mcb" argument. There appears to be a discrepancy in the argument; but my alcohol-fogged brain is starting to wilt. Leave that bit with me, and I`ll be back afta. :x ; )

25 amp mcbs are not readily available. I think mem and hager make them, the usuals like wylex mk etc don,t. I can't say ive ever used them.

batty