Spot The Cut Out Fuse.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.leung

Reaction score
found this today at a clients house... also the meter has taken a bashing from the side...

told the client to contact the DNO to get it all replaced..

a20130314_135005.jpg

Staggering.

That's a newish looking bit of trunking (minus it's lid) I wonder who put that there?

That's a pretty low reading for such an ancient meter. I wonder how many times it's been round?

P.S I think the CU is missing a cover as well 
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Is there not another fuse at the source where that SWA is fed from? if not, unusual for the DNO to use SWA, they seem to prefer concentric, or split con.

Last edited by a moderator:
i took the cu cover off when taking the photos... also with the trunking lid..

the meter was moved 9 yr's ago..  the first cut out is in the living room corner all boxed in

i took the cu cover off when taking the photos... also with the trunking lid..

the meter was moved 9 yr's ago..  the first cut out is in the living room corner all boxed in
So there's no need for the second cut out stuffed in the trunking?

But in any event, the DNO's problem to sort out.

So there's no need for the second cut out stuffed in the trunking?

But in any event, the DNO's problem to sort out.

Thats an illegal alteration that does not meet any DNO's standards. They wont sort it out but may disconnect it.   I guess the misinformed sparky that carried out the work thought having a second cutout was needed.

I also see the meter is only rated at 40A

I cant quite see, is that a 3 core SWA or is the banjo against plastic picking up the earth ?

Is it, in fact, the DNOs meter? I don`t see any labelling?

Or is it the client`s / landlords own credit meter?

Something isn`t right there. 9 yrs, and no meter reader has ever flagged that! I`ve got a feeling you may find the DNO meter somewhere else?

I'm with KME on this one. Are you absolutely sure this is the DNO's meter, because it looks like a client's sub-meter to me. I'd check again before calling them out. Might save some embarassment.

Not neccesarily, if there has been a DIY meter move then this is likeley not even there head fuse.  What is the arrangement at the existing head that is boxed in the corner of the room . How have they terminated the SWA at that end??

I am of the oppinion that it is deffo a DIY meter move and if / when the DNO come out they will simply disconnect it and refuse to reconnect until it is rectified at the clients expense.

Let us know how you get on

Nick

Is it, in fact, the DNOs meter? I don`t see any labelling?

Or is it the client`s / landlords own credit meter?

Something isn`t right there. 9 yrs, and no meter reader has ever flagged that! I`ve got a feeling you may find the DNO meter somewhere else?
At the bottom of the meter it says  Property of the London Electricity Board   (LEB). It also has there serial number on it & its normal for these meters to have a 240V  label.  The only concern any meter reader may have would be the taped side , but they are just civillians doing a low paid job and probably would not be bothered to report that.

Your eyes are a lot better than mine Slips so is this meter in London? Surely the customer must know if this is the meter they read and if it is A it needs replacing and B the whole lot needs sorting by the DNO.

My eyes are awful but its a meter i am used to seeing. The tag has the serial number and actually reads  THIS METER  IS THE   PROPERTY OF LONDON ELECTRICITY BOARD'

It is possible its 'borrowed'  though and is being used as a a second meter as its only 40A and not many of those still in use. If it was reconditioned the tag with the details on is removed. 

Last edited by a moderator: