Spot the difference...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swiss2008

Reaction score
Morning all, can you tell me what the difference is between these two consumer/fuse boxes is, to my untrained eye, the one with the bad quality photos is with MCB/RCD's and the other with RCBO's is that correct? Is that the only difference?

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• image (4).png
    image (4).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 2836-b4b2f4ada16daa21d50a3b3a7e4befa0.png
    2836-b4b2f4ada16daa21d50a3b3a7e4befa0.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 2835-d172ef886fbdedb2cb9ecd862a8badd1.png
    2835-d172ef886fbdedb2cb9ecd862a8badd1.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 57
The 2 older ones need upgrading ?

why the question
The older one has been replaced with the newer one, I just wanted to know the difference? Is my diagnosis right, I don't have any experience with electricity...

Thank you both, were MCB/RCD's very dangerous then, I didn't hear anything about them?

I never understood how they thought metal was better? Surely it may contain a fires flames slightly better but surely it would heat too a lot hotter thus being a source of ignition too other surfaces in its vicinity?

I never understood how they thought metal was better? Surely it may contain a fires flames slightly better but surely it would heat too a lot hotter thus being a source of ignition too other surfaces in its vicinity?

metal would be able to contain a fire better than plastic, but as usual, nothing is done about preventing the fire in the first place, only trying to contain it

but as we all know, metal boards being able to contain a fire was found not to be true before it was even a requirement to have them...

metal would be able to contain a fire better than plastic, but as usual, nothing is done about preventing the fire in the first place, only trying to contain it

but as we all know, metal boards being able to contain a fire was found not to be true before it was even a requirement to have them...
But we all know that’s because you can’t legislate for everyone, some are more challenged than others.

Neither of them are fuse boxes, they have no fuses.

MCB/RCDs are not very dangerous. All RCBOs are more convenient.

CU's don't have to be metal, the requirement is non combustible. Some plastics are claimed to be non combustable. Metal is combustable if it is hot enough. Metal is actually more dangerous for someone working on a CU as there are still live parts inside when the main switch is off.

The regs don't make sence and it came about due to pressure from the London fire Brigade. Fireman are good at what they do but they are not electricians.

Neither of them are fuse boxes, they have no fuses.

MCB/RCDs are not very dangerous. All RCBOs are more convenient.

CU's don't have to be metal, the requirement is non combustible. Some plastics are claimed to be non combustable. Metal is combustable if it is hot enough. Metal is actually more dangerous for someone working on a CU as there are still live parts inside when the main switch is off.

The regs don't make sence and it came about due to pressure from the London fire Brigade. Fireman are good at what they do but they are not electricians.
Thank you, they probably have a vested interested down the line somewhere...