Spot the difference...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying to get a feel for the tech, are the slots interchangeable like that, or are units designed to accommodate only one type of switch?

Whilst it can be done it will mean modifying and then you get into a whole can of manufacturing rules and responsibilities so isn’t worth the hassle, just buy the correct product and use is the easy answer.

Why would you want it changed?

Thank you both, were MCB/RCD's very dangerous then, I didn't hear anything about them?

No.... but they do take up more space in a CU than RCBO's...
And can be a lot more inconvenient in the event of faults...

i.e 1x RCD trips and you can lose power to multiple MCB circuits..
whereas 1x RCBO trips and you only lose power to that one circuit.

4 circuits with full RCD & MCB protection takes up 4 slots in the CU if using 4xRCBO's
but 6 slots if using 1xRCD + 4xMCBs.

It is basically a cost comparison..
4xMCB+1xRCD is cheaper than 4xRCBO's!

Yes, in the perfect world, but what do we mere mortals at the coal face actually know because it seems that we are not listened too

The powers-that-be are far to busy deciding if the time is now right to stop sticking some labels on a CU or not......??

So you will understand that listening to real life practical technical issues from people working at the coal face is far far down the priority list!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The regs don't make sence and it came about due to pressure from the London fire Brigade. Fireman are good at what they do but they are not electricians.
The LFB fire stats didn't make sense when you compared them to all the other UK brigades stats combined for consumer unit fires. I looked into the stats at the time and consumer unit fires in the rest of the UK were at less than 10% of the LFB numbers at there peak

The LFB fire stats didn't make sense when you compared them to all the other UK brigades stats combined for consumer unit fires. I looked into the stats at the time and consumer unit fires in the rest of the UK were at less than 10% of the LFB numbers at there peak

of course the numbers didn’t make sense but the decision makers decided it would help them justify an amendment of the regs

sure regs need changing BUT not every 2 - 3 years

it’s a marketing machine for lots of people to make money, pure and simple

I understand its something to with them being adopted as a british standard, and there only being allowed 3 amendments before a new editon is required.

So 15th was prior to this, how the 16th got away with it, I do not know, I'm guessing either the ruls changed, or they didnt realise at the time.

Never liked that the colour stopped going back to red on each edition. And why do I need to buy a new brown book, I've got one already....