Stair landing light permanently on.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleG

Reaction score
Ok never posted before but here goes.

Moved into new property 6 months ago. Top of the stairs landing light was not working. Had a look at the switches + there were wires disconnected. Connected them up and the light is permanently on!

Upon further investigation I removed the ceiling rose for the light and found this mess!! Please see 1st attachment.

I traced all 5 wires back. We have a permanent connected smoke alarm I believe comes up from the main junction box, to smoke alarm and then into the stair ceiling rose. So that's one of the cables. Then the bethroom light runs off of it, and also the spare room light, so there are 2 more. Then there are 2 cables for the light switch for the light itself. (Not sure why 2, poss because 2way switch + needed down stairs aswell).

For the life of me I can't figure out why the light is permanently on. This explains why it was all disconnected when we 1st moved in.

Notice that none of the earth's have been connected either!! I think they must of turned up on horseback when installing this!!

Additionally there are 2 more rooms but I think one run off from the spare room, radially + the other runs radially of the bathroom.

I'm a pretty cable DIY'er but dunno where 2 start here. Any help or advice to sort this out would be greatly appreciated.

I have also put pics of the light switches at the top of stairs + bottom of stairs on there fyi.

I just can't believe all the wiring is cumulated into the ceiling rose for the upstairs landing light. It doesn't make sense. Also why is there 2 cables from the top of stairs light going into the rose? 

Again I'd appreciate any help in getting this sorted.

Ok just realised I can't actually attach any photos, DOH.

You can post pictures on an image hosting site and paste a link.

So have you waited 6 months before investigating why the light did not work?

Welcome to the forum, ignoring the no pictures issue at the moment. Do you understand the concept of how light switches are wired? i.e. a standard single switch -vs- two-way switching. Many DIY'ers are ok with a single switch operating one or more light fittings, (Single or multiple lights can just be considered as 'the load'),  But can struggle with a pair (or more) switches operating the same load, (e.g. 2 switches control the same landing light).

Standard switch arrangement:    Supply {live} to switch.  Switched live to load.  Neutral from load back to supply.

Two-Way switch arrangement:    Supply {live} to first switch.  2x switched live strappers from switch 1 to switch 2.   Switched live out from second switch to load.   Neutral from load back to supply.

The actual colours used in the cables will depend upon various factors relating to the age of the wiring and the preferences of the person who originally wired it.

The terminal designations at the switches will depend upon the make of switch.  Some are labelled 'C', 'L1', 'L2'.  others are 'L1', 'L2', 'L3'.

As an example one wiring method is connect supply to 'C' on switch 1.

connected two strappers between switches 1 and 2:  'L1' to 'L1'  and  'L2' to 'L2'

connect switched live out from 'C' at switch 2 to the load.

But that is not the only way, and the quickest way is with some test equipment that can read continuity on dead circuits. and verify polarity and voltage.

Doc H.