Starbreaker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAZBAT22

Reaction score
Help!!! Crabtree Starbreaker

Fitted 15way Spilt Load Starbreaker And 4way Rccb Starbreaker Board Today. All Going Well Until Rccb In The 15way Trips Every Time An Appliance Is Switched On:_|kettle Toaster Tv Fridge Everything. :_| Put Three Rings Into The 4way Rccb And Everyting Fine. Swapped Back To Other Board And Same Again.

Changed Rccb And Still The Same Problem. Test Button Would Not Work Either:_|

My Heads Well Screwed Now.

Any Advice Guys.

crabtree?eh?

says it all.

sorry,

but best advice I would even start with is use quality gear.
Must admit I don't like Crabtree boards much as they always seem to go their own way - but I know some people swear by them. Fitted an MK 17th edition the other day and had a defective 6A breaker from new! Personal preference is Hager. What do you recommend?

Help!!! Crabtree StarbreakerFitted 15way Spilt Load Starbreaker And 4way Rccb Starbreaker Board Today. All Going Well Until Rccb In The 15way Trips Every Time An Appliance Is Switched On:_|kettle Toaster Tv Fridge Everything. :_| Put Three Rings Into The 4way Rccb And Everyting Fine. Swapped Back To Other Board And Same Again.

Changed Rccb And Still The Same Problem. Test Button Would Not Work Either:_|

My Heads Well Screwed Now.

Any Advice Guys.
I'd suggest going back to basics and checking that you haven't got a neutral crossed over into the wrong bus. Other possibility is a N-E short somewhere on the 15 way board so the fault does not manifest itself until there is a a certain amount of current flowing. Either way it should be detectable.

I'd suggest going back to basics and checking that you haven't got a neutral crossed over into the wrong bus. Other possibility is a N-E short somewhere on the 15 way board so the fault does not manifest itself until there is a a certain amount of current flowing. Either way it should be detectable.
Ditto the above suggesttions....

Basically sounds like it is either....

a] naff wiring somewhere or

b] failed rccb in board (warranty replacement time!)

The only other point I would try is

diss all the circuits off the board..

temp wire a socket outlet direct onto a circuit on the suspect RCCB..

plug something in see if it works without tripping.

verify RCD tests on board with no circuits connected..

verify not tripping to sensitive?

You have your blue neutral flying leads in wrong positions or you have used the wrong set of neutral bars.

Common problem is neutral from circuit in other terminal bar.

As for Crabtree have always found theese boards to br excellent and easy to work on so stop complaining.

Most of the local councils/ housing associations use Mk or Crabtree, so they all must be wrong fitting that crap then.

Hager is junk.

problem 1 **** labels too small

door does not stay shut after plastic wears out.

Back knock outs take away most of the back plate out when you just want a small panel out.

Braile cover?

breakers and blanks different colour to board colour.

All hager straight to skip DOWN WITH FRENCH

in NW almost all local authority is wylex??? metal clad?????

i find hager spot on, tho not so sure now with RCBO coming in, some of their boards make it impossible to fit N after the RCBO.

merlin gerin is a good board, bit pricey tho for domestic.

You have your blue neutral flying leads in wrong positions or you have used the wrong set of neutral bars.Common problem is neutral from circuit in other terminal bar.

As for Crabtree have always found theese boards to br excellent and easy to work on so stop complaining.

Most of the local councils/ housing associations use Mk or Crabtree, so they all must be wrong fitting that crap then.

Hager is junk.

problem 1 **** labels too small

door does not stay shut after plastic wears out.

Back knock outs take away most of the back plate out when you just want a small panel out.

Braile cover?

breakers and blanks different colour to board colour.

All hager straight to skip DOWN WITH FRENCH
oh mr CT,

makes a bit of a mockery of your name tho, considering yopur gaelic and all,

hager is from the other CELTIC nation,

BRITANNY.

and we are all european now,

and what board exactly is the english one?

none.!

or even british, none that meets the regs AKAIK.

its not the board, its the way the spark wires it.

i am cornish.

cornwall once joined to brittany by land thousands of years ago.

Bretons are our cousins the french are not.

Hager is made in France not Brittany {obernai. i think)

We speak similar celtic langauge, share same place names etc.

I am not French

Hager components are far superior to MK,wylex , Crabtree its just the boards i hate they should of done their homework better, the old ones where great white/ tint lid never had any trouble.

KERNOW BYS VYKEN (cornwall for ever and ever)

WE ARE NOT EUROPEAN EITHER.

SQUARE D/ MERLIN GERIN FANTASTIC QUALITY BY THE WAY

arent Wylex and Crabtree the same board any way

i am cornish. :^O

cornwall once joined to brittany by land thousands of years ago.

No it wasn't - the English Channel was once a part of the river Rhine ergo Kernow was as much joined as the rest of Briton.

Hager/MK good components not so good enclosure. Wylex Ok, MG - never used, Crabtree - hate enclosed busbar but very loyal following in my area.

Personally I like Square D - componets seem reliable, and enclosure is made of thick/soft plastic that is easy to work and doesn't split / crack too easy.

KERNOW BYS VYKEN (cornwall for ever and ever)? I hear the kernow resistance is developing nuclear pasties :eek:

Surprised you don't come under Boris Johnson given the number of Londoners

down your way? ;)

dont say horrible things about crabtree, one of the best boards on the market, ive only ever had one faulty trip!!

Hi all

Thanks for replys. Went back to job this morning with a clear head. Found fault within half an hour:D Customer had installed a socket using a 16mm metal back box. There it was neutral wire trapped and conductor touching the back box:O

Dont know how i missed it on friday must of been one of those days!

Maybe crabtree boards not that bad then? Just my poor workmanship:^O

Thanks agian for replys

dont say horrible things about crabtree, one of the best boards on the market, ive only ever had one faulty trip!!
I have never had a problem with any crabtree boards I have worked on..

They do tend to have a nice amount of room inside when you need to get your head under the bonnet! :)

The only thing I dont like is the fixed position(s) of RCD..

cuz of the preset plug-in bus bar arrangment.... :(

if you just needed one extra slot either side of RCD.. your stuffed! X(

but sayin that I find the bus bar is nice and safe unless you really prod and poke them little push-fit gaps for the MCB's! :)