Starting Off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright_Spark101

Reaction score
hi all

i'm hoping to kit out my van to start out as a sparky, i have a pretty good collection of tools already but wanted to get your thoughts on some of these products, if you guys could suggest anything esle that i might need for my tool collection i'd appreciate it.

im not too sure about buying the 36v circular saw, seems a bit much just to use to cut floor boards, do you guys thing i could get away with a cheaper dewalt circular saw?

thanks all

THE LIST -

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC234KL/

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC901KL/

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC732KL/

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC300KL/

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DW966K/

http://www.pat-services.co.uk/fluke-...ftware-199.htm

for me, a cordless SDS is a must. there are some jobs which would take more time gettin the extension out than to drill the holes. although for bigger jobs, the mains SDS is used

Would suggest not buying deWalt cos it aint what it used to be. For economical stuff Erbaur are good. Don't use cordless for SDS - have a bosch 240v 2kg, and big cheap 7kg which hardly ever gets used, hence cheap and disposable. Only expensive item is a makita 18V Li-Ion which I mostly bought on impulse and for the extremely useful Work light which lasts a good 3-4 hours on one charge - enough to change CU in a dark cupboard. If you want to be really tight try ryobi - good range of gear, and I know a builder who swears by it. Also worth looking at AEG who make batteries same size across range so you upgrade from NiCd to Li Ion if desired

Would suggest not buying deWalt cos it aint what it used to be. For economical stuff Erbaur are good. Don't use cordless for SDS - have a bosch 240v 2kg, and big cheap 7kg which hardly ever gets used, hence cheap and disposable. Only expensive item is a makita 18V Li-Ion which I mostly bought on impulse and for the extremely useful Work light which lasts a good 3-4 hours on one charge - enough to change CU in a dark cupboard. If you want to be really tight try ryobi - good range of gear, and I know a builder who swears by it. Also worth looking at AEG who make batteries same size across range so you upgrade from NiCd to Li Ion if desired
Ryobi stuff is far superior to Erbaur crap. IMO I have had two Erbaur things and sent them both back!

I have a Ryobi 18Vdrill/driver and the impact driver and I am very happy with them. I was going to get the One+ range circ saw but got the Dewalt one cheap of ebay. There's now Ryobi lithium ion batteries available that will fit existing kit.

I also have a Ryobi strimmer that always starts first time despite neglect!

I do like Dewalt - I used to buy cheap tools and they are worlds apart. SF have a 18V dewalt on the back of their new catalouge for

A choice of tools in the begining is down to whats cool!

There is nothing wrong in buying a tool for a tenner if you only need that tool for one or two jobs per month.

I was and to some extent still am known as the dewalt kid! thats because I onlt ever used and purchased dewalt.However from my experiance I have seen far cheaper tools doing a far better job. Go with what you can afford, and what will give you the most in return, and do not do what I have done in the past and because of laziness used a 24 volt dewalt for core drilling!!! I will say no more

Reminds me when the 'engineers' (lol) came to fit my sky. He had a nice 36V Bosch SDS drill which couldn't get through my 2 1/2ft stone walls - so I let him use my el cheapo 6kg SDS and was through in no time

:D

Reminds me when the 'engineers' (lol) came to fit my sky. He had a nice 36V Bosch SDS drill which couldn't get through my 2 1/2ft stone walls - so I let him use my el cheapo 6kg SDS and was through in no time :D
Paddy I bet that made your day.

Batty

:D

dont forget mains voltage is a lot more powerful than battery. IIRC, the 24V dewalt is the equivalent of a 380W mains drill
Dewalt have certainly gone down hill since black and decker took them over.

Batty

did rather :D then the young oaf sliced his finger open with a Stanley knife tring to strip the coax *sigh*

:)
I don't think sky pay them a lot its the old pay peanuts get monkeys, no offence to monkeys.

Batty

thanks for all the useful advice guys, the reasons why i wanted to go with dewalt tools was that i have heard that they are a lot more hard wearing than most other brands.

the other reason is image, i dont want to turn up to a job and then start it with cheapo b&q branded tools etc, the client may not take me seriously thinking im a d.i.y.er and not a "pro", i know it sounds silly, and as long as you do a good job thats all that matters, but how many times have you guys heard people saying, "oh he uses dewalt, they're expensive, he must be good" etc. i hope you guys understand what i mean.

thanks for all the useful advice guys, the reasons why i wanted to go with dewalt tools was that i have heard that they are a lot more hard wearing than most other brands. the other reason is image, i dont want to turn up to a job and then start it with cheapo b&q branded tools etc, the client may not take me seriously thinking im a d.i.y.er and not a "pro", i know it sounds silly, and as long as you do a good job thats all that matters, but how many times have you guys heard people saying, "oh he uses dewalt, they're expensive, he must be good" etc. i hope you guys understand what i mean.
No I take your point :)

But not worth spending big money on something you'll only use a few times a year. Your cordless drill will be seen more often!

All the brands are decent Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, AEG, Hitachi, Metabo and don't write off Ryobi (80% performance and less than half the cost)

Welcome to the forum anyways :)

Several good points have been made here.

Spending a fortune on a tool used twice a year is a waste.

Personally, I am more impressed with a workman who has the right type of tools for the job and who can use the tools well, rather than one who has the right brand of tools. (Apache's example of the Sky dude who had to borrow Apache's SDS to drill through a wall is a classic! Seriously unimpressive).

Arriving on site with several grand worth of fancy yellow-and-black tools that have obviously been bought to impress is about as encouraging as the double-glazing salesman arriving in a Labourgini.

A range of well-chosen tools that have been bought for their particular merits is a far better bet. If you are just starting out, in the current economic climate, I would have thought that value for money would be more important than spending on a particular brand

What will each particular tool cost?

What is it's earning-potential?

Will it save time?

Will it be reliable?

Is it repairable when it fails?

Is it cheaper to dispose of and buy a replacement when it fails?

How much will it hurt if the tool gets stolen?

Pyro.

if it was me i would not get the 14.4 gear, get a 12volt driver it will be much lighter and get a decent mains angle drill.

if u are going to get the circular saw buy it bare and use your batteries from the SDS

thanks for the advice guys, ive still got some time before i head off to buy any tools, so your advice has been very useful, thanks all.