starting off.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark bailey

Reaction score
hello everyone:)

got my first big job:D. its a mates house extension. im not worried about doing the job its just how do i go about building control/niceic sceme.

if i notify building control about the work i intened to do and everything goes correctly. can i use that as proof of one of my jobs at a later date for niceic if i document it. or would niceic have to be there from the word go on any instalation i do, even though building control have passed it and ive got evidence of this. its just i havent got the funds for nic yet and i want too build up my confidence so i can walk the nic scheme inspection.

thanks for the help regards mark:D:D

as far as Im aware nic only want to inspect work you have done past 6 months

(please check this time frame, I dont really know)

they shouldnt want to check the actual installation as it progresses.

why NIC.?

cos they are better known?

see previous post on the subject of memberships of various...

hello everyone

got my first big job. its a mates house extension. im not worried about doing the job its just how do i go about building control/niceic sceme.

if i notify building control about the work i intened to do and everything goes correctly. can i use that as proof of one of my jobs at a later date for niceic if i document it. or would niceic have to be there from the word go on any instalation i do' date=' even though building control have passed it and ive got evidence of this. mark[/quote']

Have you got a copy of 'approved document P' this is the guideline for general procedures etc relating to Part P and the various certification routes for compliance..

I have always self certified my work so I am not directly familiar with the using council building control..

However the document P details three basic routes.

a] self certify by a member of one of the approved contractor schemes.

b] competent to fill BS7671 certificates but not registered part P

c] DIY bob, not qualified to test fill out EIC or self certify.

As long as you can test & certify the work yourself, (i.e. got relevant C&G qual's) the option b] is what I think you would do.

So you would provide the EIC & council provide the Part P compliance certificate.

Both b & c need you to notify building control before work commences..

they should advise you of the costs & any inspections they want to do.

e.g. for an option c] job I think they charge you more and come an do more thorough inspection & testing of your work.

Make sure you Notify them first!! keep the council happy & informed & should all go smoothly! :)

as far as Im aware nic only want to inspect work you have done past 6 months(please check this time frame, I dont really know)

they shouldn't want to check the actual installation as it progresses.
The actual wording in one of their application packs says.

"the work must be representative of the work your business undertakes and have been completed within the last 6 months"

strictly speaking I think this is the 'completion date' that will be on the EIC.

not the date the work was started.. e.g. first fix to final fix & testing could take much longer than 6 months!

They only come to visit the completed work & get you to show competence with testing & BS7671 on the actual work you have done.

Have you got a copy of 'approved document P' I have it in PDF format. :p
Evenin WW.

I used to have it printed from a download..

but in the end I bought a proper bound copy direct from the stationary office.

http://www.tso.co.uk/

(you can link to their on line shop.)

I quite often show parts of it to customers when I encounter certain things on site!..

such as the back pages about older work practice e.g. rubber cables!

It looks better as a proper book than some printed sheets. :)

Usually, the 6 month timeframe is a little fluid. When I registered, I`d only been trading 3 weeks - however I`d been the only sparx and Qualified Supervisor for the company I was with before, and as my certs were on computer, I just "changed the company name" and printed that off.

I`m sure they knew what I was doing; but it`s still proof of what you`ve done, as your signature is on `em.

Usually, the 6 month timeframe is a little fluid.
Indeed! :)

There is also the factor that when you apply to enrol & pay your dosh..

you don't know how long it will be before they can arrange their assessment appointment...

I think I had to wait about 3&1/2 months before they came out to see my work..

so the jobs you got sorted when you made the application could well be over their own guidelines.! :|

I think as a general rule of thumb..

as with the following ongoing annual assessment..

they need example of work done since previous assessment

i.e. during the previous year...

cheers for that:x. ill get in touch with building control and get the ball rolling:D.