Starting out - advice appreciated

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustStartingOut

Reaction score
Hello All

I just thought I'd ask your advice as I am thinking about retraining to become an electrician.

The route I thought I'd take initially is becoming a Domestic Installer, and after period of experience going for 2391-01. I'd also register for 2330 to do over a couple of years, aiming eventually for NVQ3 to get electrician status.

I believe having the 2391 means that I would be able to do commercial inspection testing / landlord PIRs (is this right?).

I am trying to put together a business plan and would appreciate any help as to be honest have no idea about the following:

-Approximate day rate for domestic installer (Gloucestershire)

-Availabillity of work (is it drying up with the credit crunch) is expecting to have work 5 days a week a bit ambitious

-Cost of tools / inspecting equipment that would be required

-Business running costs(liablility insurances, marketing/advertising)

-Is small van OK for most jobs (Combo sized)

-To help with my cash flow calculations, roughly what proportion of sales is labour, and what proportion is equipment that is installed e.g. storage heater/cctv kit/cables/conduit etc

-Are most self employed electricians below VAT registration threshold

Last thing really......

If I go and do a Domestic Installer qualification and want to be self-employed, how can I get registered with a Part P - Competent person scheme, as I wont have jobs that can be looked at during on site assessment......would I have to do several jobs first by notifying and paying LABC?

As I said before, any comments, thoughts, encouragements or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Hello JSO,

Welcome to the forum Mate. Good to have you onboard.

I am on my final year of the 2330, I have my 2382-10 and hopefully will go for the 2391 when I get more experience.

While you are waiting, have a look at our business thread Here.

There is a 2nd part to it, as soon as our KME has time to send it to me.

Best place dude if you need advice, some of there people on here are know it alls. only kidding but to be fair there are some very people who know what there taking about.

Im at collage doing my 3220, dont know weather its worth doing a pat test course and part p so i make some doe??

Hello AllI believe having the 2391 means that I would be able to do commercial inspection testing / landlord PIRs (is this right?).

As I said before, any comments, thoughts, encouragements or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.
As long as you have a few years of experience (installation/repair/fault finding).......

B-)