starting up...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andson

Reaction score
hello all, im new to to domestics and have just passed my 17th edition,im from a maintenance backgraound, and paid for the course myself....

i already knew a fair bit anyway, but i just wanted to convince myself.. anyhow while im still waiting to here about future job ventures, as im out of work at the moment people have asked me to do some jobs for them.. i have already re-wired my house without any hitches.. any some has asked for a re-wire and several other people extensions and so on. my friend is a nappit registered electrician who can sign my work off, for a price of course!!!!

i am thinking now that i should be getting liability insurance, am i right in doing so?

is what i am doing legal?

i am not registered self employed yet, but if that is all i have to do, and get my liabilty insurance then i might give it a blast...

how much will my liability insurance cost me rougly, and does it cost me anything to become self employed?

cheers andy..

NO. But, in order to cover yourself; AND be able to self-certify, then yes, a scam provider would be advantageous. Plus, it gives customers a bit of reassurance that you`re reputable.

Plus, it gives costomers a bit of reassurance that you`re reputable.
Indeed I have a spec for some works in 3 blocks of flats & the first sentance is

"Contractors wishing to submit to tender must be NICEIC registered & have full public liability insurance, be in possesion of a health & safety document with method statements"

So even some customers rightly or wrongly request it.

kme, i would'nt be self certifying as my mate whos nappit registered, would be inspecting and testing and signing off my work. is that legit...?

andy..

Hi Anderson :)

In addition to what the other guys have said... I would add these other few points..

IMO The sort of legal bits you need to consider are

kme, i would'nt be self certifying as my mate whos nappit registered, would be inspecting and testing and signing off my work. is that legit...?andy..
If you and your mate were both co-working on the project..

then either one of you could be responsible for the inspecting testing etc..

But strictly speaking the "Domestic EIC" is geared for a single person signing for responsible in ALL of the following areas;

Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the installation..

BUT saying that it would be considered perfectly reasonable to expect two or more guys, (spark & mate / apprentice) to be working together on a job

where one is the responsible person checking over all the work.

However if you want to get yourself registered you will need example jobs where you have tested & certified to prove your competence.

i don't want to get registered at the moment... for two reasons.. one i am still looking for a job, so i may return to full time employment soon, and secondly forking out

Latest posts