Starview 3 Boxes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Reaction score
Bought one of these today.

It's 'sold' as a Free-To-Air receiver for use on cable but it comes with a RS232 port on the back.

There are a few websites that have download software that flashes the box with new software.

I now have ALL cable channels! ;)

(Hope there's no-one from Virgin on here! :^O )

Got mine for eighty notes including postage. :D

However if one of these is installed at home on cable you need to keep the box Virgin/NTL gave you plugged in as the box 'reports back' to the cable company.

So if you have asked for cable and don't 'appear' to be using it they'll be asking questions. However if you move into a new place with cable pre-installed the chances are that they won't of turned it off! So you might be able to hook one of these things up to it!

But I didn't tell you that! ; \

Got mine for eighty notes including postage. :D However if one of these is installed at home on cable you need to keep the box Virgin/NTL gave you plugged in as the box 'reports back' to the cable company.

So if you have asked for cable and don't 'appear' to be using it they'll be asking questions. However if you move into a new place with cable pre-installed the chances are that they won't of turned it off! So you might be able to hook one of these things up to it!

But I didn't tell you that! ; \
Thats a fact

they do not have the man power or records to disconnect the cable.

it didnt help when they deleted all the records of disconnected customers :^O :^O:^O

They're out of stock, Mr S had the last one Before he told us about them.

Minus 1 scoob and a visit from the Dons' boys, is in order me thinks.

:^O

The cable companies still haven't learnt. Many years ago when analogue cable was put in, they offered 6 months free full package plus telephone line (pay for calls only) If you didn't want it after that they came and took the set top box away. All you had to do was put a co-ax plug on their lead and plug into your tv. Perfect picture plus about 12 free cable/satellite channels. I have many customers today (15 years later) that are still getting these free, even though its digital.

so how do i download my software to it then?sorry for being thick?

but i think i could use one of these for the spare room.?! :)
You get a 'null-modem' cable supplied with it (an RS232), connect the box to the computer with it. Visit a web-site that has the download and you then program the box with the 'crack'. It takes a few minutes and when the cable company alter thier settings to stop this sort of thing a new 'crack' is on the web in days!

Only problem is that you don't get any of the 'on demand' services which, in my opinion, is why cable is way better than Sky!

PS: You also get the ****ography channels! :eek:

Hmmmmm..... an auto star-out! Ok I'm not talking about any 'ographies' they teach you in school! :^O

They're out of stock, Mr S had the last one Before he told us about them.Minus 1 scoob and a visit from the Dons' boys, is in order me thinks.
Awwwww.......

That was only an example website.... :( I got mine from e-bay.

I should get showered in scoobs! But not the 'golden showers' that were on the 'ography' channel last night! ; \

Ive got Sky. Had everything since day one 3 years ago then have gradually dropped some packages due to Skys crap programmes. Especially the 'NEW and Improved' movie channels!

Im now just running with Skys 2 mix package.

Will this work with Sky or do I have to have cable? Im not sure if I have cable in my gyppo area. Who can I check with?

anything for a freebie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just pay like the rest of us we all pay in end one way or another then we all dead so what the hell

Ive got Sky. Had everything since day one 3 years ago then have gradually dropped some packages due to Skys crap programmes. Especially the 'NEW and Improved' movie channels!Im now just running with Skys 2 mix package.

Will this work with Sky or do I have to have cable? Im not sure if I have cable in my gyppo area. Who can I check with?
No, I'm afraid that these boxes only work on cable. If you go to the Virgin website I'm sure they will be able to tell you if you have cable in your street.