Steel cladded walls on commercial kitchens

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikethesniper

Reaction score
Hi all, wonder if you could help, i am currently first fixing a large commercial kitchen and the designer has decided to clad the entire kitchen in stainless steel, the joints of the shetts will have a capping strip stuck over each joint, will i need to bond any or all of the steel sheets, if its those only within reach on a electricla appliance, what are my resistance maximums i have to work to for testing???

p.s all cladding is stuck to a plasterboard wall excep 1 which is outside block.

thank you.

I have worked with this in a domestic kitchen and was going to bond it, but after enquiring whether it was needed was informed was not necessary CJS

this is the problem im coming accross everywhere, i know bonding links arent too obtrusive but if i can get away with puttingh them on then its better, also if i bond the steel sheets then i must have to bond all the steel tables etc, and there all mobile and designed to be moved anywhere in the kicthen.

p.s i meant steel tables with appliances on, i.e meet slicer and bain marie
I'd of thought that if they have appliances on then they wouldn't move due to having to be plugged in.

We've bonded all our SS worktops. Mind you it doesn't help as the kitchen staff just rip the stuff off! :_|

As for the SS splash backs you could electrically join them all together using the copper strappers designed for use on trunking. :)

Hi all, wonder if you could help, i am currently first fixing a large commercial kitchen and the designer has decided to clad the entire kitchen in stainless steel, the joints of the shetts will have a capping strip stuck over each joint, will i need to bond any or all of the steel sheets, if its those only within reach on a electricla appliance, what are my resistance maximums i have to work to for testing??? p.s all cladding is stuck to a plasterboard wall excep 1 which is outside block.

thank you.
Just to throw a spanner in the works...

I would say "NO"..

Unless the metal structure is in contact with the "general mass of earth"

OR the room contains a bath or shower!

O-S-Guide... page 26

par 4.6

Supplementary bonding in other locationsThere is NO specific requirement in BS7671 to supplementary bond the following..

Kitchen pipes, sinks or draining boards. metal furniture in kitchens

Metal waste pipes in contact with earth should be bonded.
Electricians guide to the building regs.

page 57par 5.2.3

There is no specific requirement in BS7671 to provide supplementary bonding in kitchens. Water pipes, metal sinks or draining boards and metal furniture do not require supplementary bonding.
Fundamentally a metal splash back or wall covering is no different to a metal window frame.. which you also don't have to bond! ?

That is my opinion anyway... for what it is worth!

I would assume the sockets are more than likely going to be RCD protected as well anyway???

By bonding you are actually introducing an earth potential.. that previously didn't exist! providing a greater potential difference in the event of a fault!

Can`t formulate argumentative POV tonight mate - issednesssssss issssss my statusssssssss at the moment!But I believe you may woofing in the wrong forest. :^O :^O:O:x] :)
?????????????????????????????? ?:| :|

to continue.........

Metal cladding on kitchen wall..

1]

Is NOT extraneous-conductive part..

as would not generally introduce an earth potential

That is unless it is fixed to structural steel work holding the fabric of the building!

But as mikethesniper said

p.s all cladding is stuck to a plasterboard wall excep 1 which is outside block
.2]

Is NOT exposed conductive part.. as not part of the electrical installation

3]

A kitchen is NOT a special location

4]

The room does not contain a bath or shower???

So where is the requirement for supplementary bonding in this situation???

?:| :|

?????????????????????????????? ?:| :| to continue.........

Metal cladding on kitchen wall..

1]

Is NOT extraneous-conductive part..

as would not generally introduce an earth potential

That is unless it is fixed to structural steel work holding the fabric of the building!

But as mikethesniper said

2]

Is NOT exposed conductive part.. as not part of the electrical installation

3]

A kitchen is NOT a special location

Depends whose definition you use:

7671: Agreed. It`s not. BUT, according to building regs, it is. How confusing is that?

4]

The room does not contain a bath or shower???

So where is the requirement for supplementary bonding in this situation???

?:| :|
No. Still can`t think of an argument. :(

You win:_| (the comment about "special locations" notwithstanding............: O) .

But I may still do it, anyway. ]:) ] :) ]:)

No. Still can`t think of an argument. :( You win :_| (the comment about "special locations" notwithstanding............: O) .

But I may still do it, anyway. ]:) ] :) ]:)
Kitchen is a Building regs Notifiable area..

Due to higher risk of electrical loading..

i.e. more HIGH power devices..

got to make sure all of your circuits are adequate for the loading..

none of them "Theoryspark" kitchen jobs with spurs off spurs in 1.5mm!!! :eek: :(

But..

It is not an area of High risk for electric shock

so not a BS7671 "special location"

i.e.

No high risk of bare skin immersed in water.. e.g. get out of bath or shower

or steam. saunas?

or direct contact to mass of earth.. e.g. barefoot in garden

or floatin pontoons in marinas etc.. etc..

Persons in kitchens often have reasonable cover over their bodily parts..

to stop nasty bits gettin in the food! :eek: :O:O:^O:^O

There are NO WINNERS bud! ;) :x :)

Just a good bit of banter & debate to keep us all on our toes! :D

One the thing I do like on this ere forum world..

You get the sort of questions your Part-p inspector may ask you

to see how you understand the regs..

gets you back to checkin what you think you know..

and how you can justify it if questioned! :) :) :)

Once again..

Big Cheers to welshy & co for settin this place up... AND keepin it good & moderated! :) :x ; )

I would concur with spec loc

If you do it to the 17th I would be inclined NOT to bond anyway. You would have to main bond the extraction system as well as the usual stuff.

I would concur with spec locIf you do it to the 17th I would be inclined NOT to bond anyway. You would have to main bond the extraction system as well as the usual stuff.
:D :D:D:D

I like this man! :x

anyone who concurs.. has goto be good! ;) ; ) :)

Actually anyone who can have a constructive debate..

without name calling...

agreeing or disagreeing has to be good as well! :D :^O

either way.. I am open to being wrong and to learning off others..

It's just good to be able to discuss the reasons for how we implement our design & installation of electrical works.

Especially when, as some of us are, we are sole traders..

who don't have the benefit of colleagues we can chat the various issues over with! :) :) :x ; )

anyone who concurs.. has goto be good! ;) ; ) :)

Actually anyone who can have a constructive debate..

without name calling...

agreeing or disagreeing has to be good as well! :D :^O

either way.. I am open to being wrong and to learning off others..

It's just good to be able to discuss the reasons for how we implement our design & installation of electrical works.

Especially when, as some of us are, we are sole traders..

who don't have the benefit of colleagues we can chat the various issues over with! :) :) :x ; )

I concur with Specs, There. :p