steps or step ups

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heathelect

Domestic Installer
Reaction score
just been pulled up by site agent saying i cant use my 6 tread steps on site as i can stand above 1m from the floor, he said we need podiums, in the end we agreed on small step ups because theyre only 18" from floor they only just get us to required height standing on tiptoes, i think thats more dangerous than using steps sensibly, does anyone else have similar problems,

dave

had to use scaffolding for a while now .only way we can use steps is with a permit to work

had to use scaffolding for a while now .only way we can use steps is with a permit to work
Christ i bet thats a pain in the perverbial butt. :eek: :O

Health & safety gone totaly insane I am afraid chaps. You have to have a permit to work PLUS you are not allowed to use the top two steps either.

Can you imagine what them chaps that built americas skyscrapers would have thought?

to continue what i was saying before the missus interrupted ..

using scaffolding hasn't improved safety. all trades misuse them whether it's missing bars ,over reaching etc.

it upsets site managers because plaster and door frames get damaged .

finally when the paint goes on the steps come out ! so what was the point in the first place??

And don't forget all scaffolding must be erected by trained/competent persons and that includes modifying it.

But remember H and S keeps a lot of people in work............. thinking of ways to cause problems for those who have a real job to do

When I started as a Spark I was working on a big boat (Merchant Navy) We used to change the mast head flood lamps by dangling from a bit of rope with a small piece of wood to park ones bottom on! Not the most comfortable way to work especially if the boat was rocking side to side.Guiness Drink

Dino,

We must come from the same era. My first job was climbing across the inside of a factory roof (on the zig zag girders) pulling an armoured in after me as I went. The machines on the factory floor were in use at the time.

Mind you I wouldn't do it now!!!!!

I think under h&s the wording is whether it is suitable for the job and the person is trained,competant (that probably rules most of us out!!!) or supervised. The other relevant point is maintanance of said steps,ladders etc. Having said that if site forman does not agree your stuffed.

Dino,We must come from the same era. My first job was climbing across the inside of a factory roof (on the zig zag girders) pulling an armoured in after me as I went. The machines on the factory floor were in use at the time.

Wimp, You had it easy - When I was a Lad ....... and all that.

Hows tricks Tony.towa?Guiness Drink

When I started as a Spark I was working on a big boat (Merchant Navy) We used to change the mast head flood lamps by dangling from a bit of rope with a small piece of wood to park ones bottom on! Not the most comfortable way to work especially if the boat was rocking side to side.Guiness Drink
Dino,We must come from the same era. My first job was climbing across the inside of a factory roof (on the zig zag girders) pulling an armoured in after me as I went. The machines on the factory floor were in use at the time.

Coincidenence or what? I did both of these while in the R.N.

Different rules apply when you`ve been employed specifically to risk your neck for your country. :eek:

Blimey Tony-Towa has reminded me , when an apprentice we were wiring high bay lights. The machines miles below were running and people looked like ants. Making use of the overhead crane I felt safe until the forman got me to sit in the girder web ready to pull the fishtape, then they ran the crane to the next light leaving me clinging to the girder. The movement of the crane made me dizzy, thought I was falling, Cripes .. puts the whatsits up me now.. forty odd years later.

Mmmmmnn ! 'elf and Saftey , gives me an idea for a thread.

Deke

Health & safety gone totaly insane I am afraid chaps. You have to have a permit to work PLUS you are not allowed to use the top two steps either. Can you imagine what them chaps that built americas skyscrapers would have thought?
On one job I worked on electrician was kicked of site as he was standing near to the top of the steps.

Not much problem there you would say! Well he was nearly 100foot in the air on a gantry and if he fell of it would have splat as he hit the deck.

'On average 13 people a year die at work falling from ladders and nearly 1200 suffer major injuries. More than a quarter of falls happen from ladders.'

Quoted from the H&S website.

Ladders are a tool just like the big shiney core-drill you've just bought and you wouldn't mess around with that would you? I think the term 'familiarity breeds contempt' is to be used here. Ladders are dangerous and it's always tempting to work off the very top of the stepladder rather than go and get another one that allows you to work safely.

I remember in my 'roadie' days crawling along lighting truss 15 metres in the air to focus lights. Never again! Nowadays it would involve renting out a cherry-picker if I had to do that job again.....

If you are self-employed then the only person paying your sickpay is you.

I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again:

'If you think Health and Safety is expensive try finding out how expensive an accident is.'