Storage Heater

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishsailor

Reaction score
I have night storage heaters in my house. I want to update my consumer unit, Do I need a separate CU for off peak heaters etc??

Can anyone please advise on routine for change??

Recommended types of CU??

I have night storage heaters in my house. I want to update my consumer unit, Do I need a separate CU for off peak heaters etc?? Can anyone please advise on routine for change??

Recommended types of CU??
Irish I'm guessing that you curently have 2 seperate CU's one straight off the meter and another via off peak time clock ?

If so then yes you will need 2 boards. (but not 2 full blown all singing dancing ones before you faint:^ O)

If you let us know how many circuits are on each board currenlty we can help more?

You probably know this already you need to be member of a scam scheme or know someone who will adopt your work that is in a scheme as a CU upgrade is notifiable you will have to go through LABC if not. Thats the first bit of the routine:)

Ian

Many thanks for your reply, my current situation is both are on the same board. it is an older style board using BS 1361 style fuses.

I am aware of the notifable work, I am currently finishing 2330 and about to do the EAL course.

What would you recommend for this situation??

Many thanks

Ian Many thanks for your reply, my current situation is both are on the same board. it is an older style board using BS 1361 style fuses.

I am aware of the notifable work, I am currently finishing 2330 and about to do the EAL course.

What would you recommend for this situation??

Many thanks
Couple more bits of info needed

Is there an off peak time clock as well as the dual rate meter ?

If not what method of timer control do you have at present for the heaters ?

Ian

They come on the off peak rate at around 1am in the morning until approx 630am and then go off, I believe this controlled by the electric company

Chris

IanThey come on the off peak rate at around 1am in the morning until approx 630am and then go off, I believe this controlled by the electric company

Chris
I am a little confused that you only have one fuse box. If it was controlled by electric board you would not get any electric in daytime. something is not right with the set up.

Batty

?:|

Check your meter for dual rate tariffs (assuming you have single meter it should have two displays) you will then need some form of timer to ensure NSHs only come on during off peak times.

I am a little confused that you only have one fuse box. If it was controlled by electric board you would not get any electric in daytime. something is not right with the set up.Batty

?:|
Me to batty

Chris you will have some form of timer on the system its either next to your meter or somewhere else down stream - the electricty board don't turn the supply on and off.

Is your cu and meter all in one place ? if so maybe a picture would help us.

Sorry guys

The rates and times are controlled by my meter, when I get home I will double check

Cheers