Storage heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
Right I’ll be honest I’ve never wired up storage heaters but I’m looking to buy one for my house I have an economy 7 meter so thought I’d make the most of this. However looking into this it requires two supplies 24hr and off peak. Is this always the case or can these be wired off the 24hr supply and set to run over off peak hours? Thanks guys for your replies in advance.

Take great care deciding which storage heaters you want to buy as many need 24 x 7 and E7 supplies

If you try and only use an E7 supply only they won't work as they need to "sense" the room temperature all the time.

Blame the LOT 20 requirements for this

It depends on the storage heaters that you're planning on buying... if they're Dimplex Quantum RF ones then they can either take a 24hr and E7 supply or just a 24hr supply (you link some internal terminations and set the charge period in the settings so that it only charges during your E7 period)

In my house the meter has two outputs and two readings, LOW and NORMAL.
The Economy 7 system switches on the LOW output at the specified times.
So my storage heaters are wired to the LOW output, and so are only powered during the Economy 7 periods.
In fact, I have Economy 10, so I get 3 hours of top-up in the afternoon - toastie !
So wire your heaters off the appropriate meter output.