Streetlights, it's the only life I know 🎶

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wells

Reaction score
Hi I'm wells.

Little background about myself, I done my 2330 level 2 and 3 where I went into street lighting young.

Been doing it for about 10 years now, main reason for joining is I'm wanting to brush up on my knowledge and look at how I can improve as an Electrician.

I've done the numerous courses within street lighting, done my 18th edition but street lighting isn't the most extensive part of electrical work shall we say, although I pride myself on my quality of work (some of the shit you would see if you opened up a column door is shocking) I'm very much aware the skill set isn't as extensive as others within the industry.

I would like to do my 2391, but fear my lack of domestic experience would be a bit of an issue, Ive carried out a HEA 714 test and inspect qualification which is specific to the areas of streetlighting so understand the basics of testing and am an approved highways electrician to sign off my work.

Hopefully I can pick some brains when needed and never know, maybe return the favour at some point.

I would like to do my 2391, but fear my lack of domestic experience would be a bit of an issue,

Hopefully I can pick some brains when needed and never know, maybe return the favour at some point.

Welcome to the forum..

(1) As its Friday make sure you get a few... 🍺🍻🥂🍷🥃🍸🍹🍾🍺🍺🍻🥂🍷🍺... in before Steptoe drinks the bar dry!!

(2) Did my 2391 back in 2000... Not really sure that domestic/non-domestic has any specific relevance to 2391??
More just verifying the electrical integrity and circuit composition and compliance with BS7671, of any electrical installation is satisfactory for continued use? Or has it changed since my day??

(3) Over the years we have had various posts from wannabe electricians, doing a career change short course, with zero previous electrical knowledge, experience or understanding.. asking about doing 2391!!!
Then being a bit miffed when they are told they really need a bit more experience under their belt!

(4) With your background and general electrical experience and qualifications I can't really see you would have too many problems having a crack at 2391.. As long as you have a copy of BS7671 and are familiar with its layout, plus the common tables and formula used to ensure disconnection times are met and are familiar with completing BS7671 electrical certificates.. etc.. etc..

If I were you I would look for a local centre that provides 2391 courses..

Wish you well with your search!

Welcome to the forum..

(1) As its Friday make sure you get a few... 🍺🍻🥂🍷🥃🍸🍹🍾🍺🍺🍻🥂🍷🍺... in before Steptoe drinks the bar dry!!

(2) Did my 2391 back in 2000... Not really sure that domestic/non-domestic has any specific relevance to 2391??
More just verifying the electrical integrity and circuit composition and compliance with BS7671, of any electrical installation is satisfactory for continued use? Or has it changed since my day??

(3) Over the years we have had various posts from wannabe electricians, doing a career change short course, with zero previous electrical knowledge, experience or understanding.. asking about doing 2391!!!
Then being a bit miffed when they are told they really need a bit more experience under their belt!

(4) With your background and general electrical experience and qualifications I can't really see you would have too many problems having a crack at 2391.. As long as you have a copy of BS7671 and are familiar with its layout, plus the common tables and formula used to ensure disconnection times are met and are familiar with completing BS7671 electrical certificates.. etc.. etc..

If I were you I would look for a local centre that provides 2391 courses..

Wish you well with your search!
And don't forget to get (and read) a copy or GN3 as well if you'replanning on doing the 2391 exam. Maybe wait until ammendment 2 comes out at the end of this month before investing

Never did get round to say thanks for the welcomes and advise, so thanks!

I've ended up getting out some old books to swat up on theory and have been reading through my GN3
Hoping to get enrolled at the college I did my level 2&3 10 years ago in time for April start.

Decided to go that route as it's evening classes twice a week over the space of 10 weeks, rather than squeezing it into a 5 day course at a centre.

Bit nervous going back to college, but excited also to try challenge myself.