Stubborn Installers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom_courier

Reaction score
Hi guys. 1st time poster so don’t flame too hard! >.<
So I’ve contacted an installer local to me and requested that they install a pv system that I have accumulated some components.
I acquired a dozen new JA Solar 405w panels for a VERY reasonable cost. A cost that I could not say no to. I also have a Givenergy 8.2kw battery and a 5kw Givenergy inverter.
The installer said that my panels would not work well with the Givenergy components as they output too high a current?? They also said that they could not install my 5kw inverter as I wouldn’t be allowed it. Instead they said I would have to purchase a new 3.68kw inverter. Does this all sound fair enough?
Im absolutely loathed to purchase new very expensive components when I already have perfectly good equipment.
Any thoughts you all have would be gratefully received.

The 5kW inverter is unlikely to be G98 compliant so you can't just chuck it in. DNO G99 approval will need to be sought first. The highest you can install without prior conest is 3.68kW, hence their recommendation. Also, if the installer is MCS registered then they their 'paperwork' system requires them to track purchasing of all equipment so it becomes a bit of an issue installing stuff that has been 'aquired'.
As for the panels being too high a current, I haven't looked into the data sheets, but I doubt it would be the case.

Wow. I did ask not to flame me! Haha,
Anyway to answer Murdoch, in all honesty I was probably a bit naive in thinking they would install it. But a builder friend of mine knew I was looking into a pv system and advised me of a person that was selling the kit due to having a change of plan.
To answer Barx, thanks for that informative reply. Lots of food for thought there. However it just doesn’t make sense for me to fit a 3.68kw inverter only to have to swap it 12 months later because I’ve fitted another 8 panels to roof of garage? Surely fitting the larger capacity inverter is simply future proofing for extra panels and charging ev?
To answer kerching, yeah thanks….

The 3.68kW is a limit that was set by the DNO, in order to be able to have control over the distribution network, and to ensure the distribution network can handle the generated power.
In simple terms it meant that they only needed to be informed of “micro” generation systems (below 3.68kW) but you have to apply and ask permission for generation systems over 3.68kW to be connected to the distribution network.
So it does make sense otherwise multiple people could be connecting multiple high power systems in the same area onto the grid which does not have the transformer, cable and switch gear capacity to handle it.

Thanks for that explanation roys.
However it leads me to my next question: will the permitted 4kw panels array coupled with a 3.68kw inverter with battery storage be enough for 2 people and charging an ev (probably 2 in future)?

Edit: Is it a simple process for applying to my DNO for permission to install 5kw inverter?

Edit: Is it a simple process for applying to my DNO for permission to install 5kw inverter?

It's easy enough, have a read of some of the other PV osts on here. I would put in the G99 application with export limitation to 16A to comply with DNO requirements. You may well find you can have the 5kW inverter unlimited, but only the DNO can say yeah or neigh to that. I'm not sure if Givenergy have the export limitation feature, it's not a brans that I use, but it should be on the data sheet. You will need an amp clamp or meter gadget to control the energy feed baack to grid, which should be in with the kit of parts anyway.

When I was MCS registered I always refused to install equipment bought by a customer, or to sign off DiY work. Trouble is, once you register a system with MCS, you become legally liable for the equipment and installation. Ha da right argument with one fella who got very uppitty about me refusing to sign off his system - oh how I laughed when his shed blew down in a gale becuae it wasn't strong enough to take the panles.

Thanks for reply binky. Good info on the application to DNO.

I can see your point regarding fitting kit bought/supplied by customer. And I could understand if the stuff looked used, or by a brand that no one had ever heard of. But I don’t understand so much when the equipment is from a quality brand and is still boxed up with receipts..

Thanks for reply binky. Good info on the application to DNO.

I can see your point regarding fitting kit bought/supplied by customer. And I could understand if the stuff looked used, or by a brand that no one had ever heard of. But I don’t understand so much when the equipment is from a quality brand and is still boxed up with receipts..
fit it yourself with your builders mates help.

Latest posts