Stupidest Question of the year!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does retrospective mean with regards to building/ wiring regs etc. :^O :^O:^O

Thanks
Pretty much the same as with any other non-retrospective rule or law..

Basically there is NO obligation to alter or amend any old wiring that no longer complies with current regulations.

New work, or alterations, to a circuit should still comply with the current regs,

But aspects of the installation that are not directly involved with the changes you are working on remain as they are,

complying with an earlier version of the regs.

i.e. working on a lighting circuit, you have no obligation to alter or improve the Socket circuit.

(obviously any dangerous items found should be made safe & the customer advised A.S.A.P, preferably in writing.)

As an illustration.. consider motor car construction..

I think I am right saying that ALL new cars must have seat belts all round, Air bags, high level rear brake lights rear, fog lights etc..

However there is NO requirement to have to modify all older cars that are still on the road constructed prior to these rules.

And the car can still pass an MOT without having to have any of the newer safety features installed! :D

New work, or alterations, to a circuit should still comply with the current regs,But aspects of the installation that are not directly involved with the changes you are working on remain as they are,

complying with an earlier version of the regs.

i.e. working on a lighting circuit, you have no obligation to alter or improve the Socket circuit.
Just to expand slightly on Spec's reply.

If you are putting a new lighting circuit in then the other circuits do not concern you as they are not directly related to your work. (as explained above)

However the earthing and bonding is, as that is related to your lighting circuit (because it is part of the earth path of your circuit). So the main earth and bonding to the gas, water and any extrenous metal work should be brought up to the current standards.

Just to expand slightly on Spec's reply.If you are putting a new lighting circuit in then the other circuits do not concern you as they are not directly related to your work. (as explained above)

However the earthing and bonding is, as that is related to your lighting circuit (because it is part of the earth path of your circuit). So the main earth and bonding to the gas, water and any extrenous metal work should be brought up to the current standards.
Absolutely Mr S!

I left that little omission in just to check you were awake at the back of the class!! :^O :^O

Looks like KME, Steptoe & Theory are all asleep..

or gone for a fag break! ;) :D :D:^O:^O] :)

As you say REG 131.8 17th (130-07-01, 16th)

applies to ALL circuits, ALL alterations, Major/Minor/Temporary/Permanent..

Earthing & Bonding MUST be verified as adequate..

(or words to that effect! :) :p )

What does retrospective mean with regards to building/ wiring regs etc. :^O :^O:^O

Thanks
Retrospective (def.):

"generally means to take a look back at events that already have taken place. For example, the term is used in medicine, describing a look back at a patient's medical history or lifestyle."

For another example; the building control dept. is talking about introducing a fine for works not "part p" notified. The law will be retrospective (if passed) ; meaning that work done BEFORE the law was passed can still be fined under the law, even though it didn`t exist when the work was done.

That help mate?B)

The stupidist question is "Is this a code 4?"

So an inspection can only be against the current regs. By the time someone has an inspection, the regs have been replaced, so his installation won't comply.

Now there's a special number for non compliance with current regs that complied with older regs, code 4.

To be able to correctly attribute code 4 instead of codes 1 or 2 or very infrequently 3 an electrician should know what was allowed by every edition from 1. Phew! I joined the industry during the 13th edition; younger guys wouldn't believe what was allowed there.

All a load of the dog's whatsits innit?

:^O

Always remember this. In this trade there is no such thing as a stupid question imho.

God I am so glad to be back on here guys, I've missed being here. If only to have a rant about bloody expensive repairs.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, deep breath & relax.

Evenin` all! Special hello to Mr. ABC tech. We`ve missed you bud!
Cheers mate, I have missed being here. I have several new grey hairs that seem to have appeared suddenly, whats next patent balding? :_|

The stupidist question is "Is this a code 4?"So an inspection can only be against the current regs. By the time someone has an inspection, the regs have been replaced, so his installation won't comply.

Now there's a special number for non compliance with current regs that complied with older regs, code 4.

To be able to correctly attribute code 4 instead of codes 1 or 2 or very infrequently 3 an electrician should know what was allowed by every edition from 1. Phew! I joined the industry during the 13th edition; younger guys wouldn't believe what was allowed there.

All a load of the dog's whatsits innit?

:^O
would agree, would not agree,

f'in stoopid they are,

not sure how you attribute a 4 TBH,

Im of the opinion if it doesnt comply with current regs, but in its own right isnt unsafe,

ie,

unsleeved earth, (there was once a time you didnt even require an earth at every point!),

NO earth, class II, (?),

< 200V incoming,

> 260V incoming,

metal windows earthed,(now deemed dangerous!)

overhead PME

fixed appliances rated at 240V

just a few points to get the arguement/discussion started.