Sub main Isolator required?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunokid

Reaction score
3 Phase DB sitting pretty in a domestic basement

I need to take a 63amp single phase submain to an additional building (swimming pool house)

Do i need to fit a DP isolator or is my new single pole circuit breaker sufficient?

any advice appreciated:)

Bru

Thanks

That does help a lot:)

You don't happen to have a reg number at all do u? :x

No reg number because this is wrong. A 63a supply like this will obviously have a d/board on the other end which has double pole switch. The 3 phase supply board has a main switch disconnecting all supplies.
AGREED, its just like any other circuit, you dont put a double pole switch on your lights either.

OK....

If we`re working to the 17th, and the supply is TN, then I stand corrected.

If its a TT, then, for isolation purposes, neutral must be switched too,

Haven`t had chance to check 16th yet, had a query arise on 15th (see post if you can help guys).

My answer was, in any case, not completely accurate. My thanks and apologies to those concerned.

:)

A sub main is only a phrase used to describe a final circuit cable feeding a further board. It has no different sections or rules in the regs from a 1.0mm lighting cable. The double pole isolation comes from the main switch. Look at Reg 460-01-04.

Does the Reg 476-01-03 need to be considered here though?

Are we installing the isolator for the benefit of the the householder (unskilled person) or for future maintenance (skilled persons)?