Suggestions please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been contacted today by a firm who do PIR`s for a chain of well-known hotels. They`ve got a remedial list which they`ve sent me (quite extensive) for a local 4 story hotel.

Not certain of the best way to work up the costing for them.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved - Don`t want to get it wrong, as I could REALLY do with the job; and am more than capable of the works.

Some examples.

1. Multiple instances of Supp. bonds. in risers.

2. s/o changes (multiple)

3. MCB upgrades (3871`s) to 60898`s

4. Couple of sub main boards.

5. some work MUST be "out of hours".

Big list - haven`t seen job OR actual PIR. Never done job this way before - Any advice gratefully accepted guys.

KME

Kme

why not break it down to day rate

you have done all this type of work before so you would have a fair idea of time.

just treat it as another job,,,,,,,,,get your figures together then double check that you get what you need out of it.

keep the price keenish as the potential for more work is there

cheers easy Guiness Drink

Been contacted today by a firm who do PIR`s for a chain of well-known hotels. They`ve got a remedial list which they`ve sent me (quite extensive) for a local 4 story hotel.
Hi there m8..

My initial gut feelings are....

Who would you be working for The PIR firm/The hotel chain?

i.e. Who will be paying you.. & how quick are they at payin????

Not certain of the best way to work up the costing for them.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved - Don`t want to get it wrong' date=' as I could REALLY do with the job; and am more than capable of the works.

Some examples.

1. Multiple instances of Supp. bonds. in risers.

2. s/o changes (multiple)

3. MCB upgrades (3871`s) to 60898`s

4. Couple of sub main boards.

5. some work MUST be "out of hours".

Big list - haven`t seen job OR actual PIR. Never done job this way before - Any advice gratefully accepted guys.

KME[/quote']

So is this another elec company who have a regular contract with the Hotel chain.. OR could you take over future work for the chain?

Have you done any work for them in the past? are they reputable good payers?

Are they are just too short staffed to be able to do the work themselves?

Or is it someone trying to pass the buck cuz its a pain-in-butt site to work at and they don't want to do it themselves??

As you say you haven't actually seen the physical site...

BUT it is Four story & there is a Big list?

Ask them to post/e-mail you a photo copy of the PIR?

shouldn't be too hard or them...

then you get a better idea of what the full extent of the installation is?

If you are changing fuse types....

strictly speaking you should verify the max Zs for the modified circuits...

In which case, it would be a great help if you have a copy of the FULL pir with their previous test readings? (or have they not done them??)

Q] what if some of the circuits are already exceeding max Zs?

who carries the can for ensuring compliance with regs.. are they looking at passing the buck for responsibility on to KME Ltd?

Same point as above for the Sub-Main board replacements?

How many circuits off the Sub CU?

You would need clear charts of where the circuits actually go to.. points served etc..

or you could end up running yourself ragged could be a of work or minimal return if not careful about defining exactly what is to be done..

Q] Is there any risk of you being pressured into extra add-on-bits if you did start the job... e.g. oh while you are there can you just fix

these other bits from the PIR we forgot to tell you about?

General costs:

Once you know exactly whats needed, obviously will be easier to calc costs..

with re to the s/o accessory replacements I think you just need to make sure you factor in sufficient time for walking back & forth to isolate at the correct fuse box! could be a few hours just spent walking around:(

Out Of Hours? :|

when is out of hours at a Hotel???? :^O

tell all the guests to shift out of their rooms cuz KME's a commin':O;) :^O

Just think you need a clearly itemised quotation/agreement of some sort

with a defined schedule of the tasks you are expected to do! ;)

AND a big extra time allowance if they cannot provide existing circuits charts/drwgs/etc..

NEED TO SEE THAT PIR me thinks!!!

I would think that the best way to tackle this job would be on day rates. Simply because it's difficult to give a price for the whole job because you don't know what it is. Also doing it on day rates you can tell them a rough estimate of time and if it runs into weeks then you should be able to bill them weekly. The out of hours work needs clarifying as to what hours as a proper nightshift means you will not be able to work the next day. If it was to say 11pm then the next day "could" be worked. I would say you want at least time and a half for normal out of hours and if the customer will pay it double time for really unsociable hours... bear in mind the customer will be paying a premium for the out of hours work to the company you will be working for.

How big is the Hotel establishment?

you said 4 floors...

but how many room.. 20 ... 200????

could make a BIG difference in huntin & searchin CU's points served/ Point to replace any testing required... etc.. etc...

I know you said you haven't been in but

have you physically seen the outside of the building?

or Google-Earthed the post code.. suss out how big it looks from the air??

Thanks guys, for the input. :x

Stu: The comapny concerned are over the other side of the country. I`ve been in the hotel in question, as a guest.Guiness Drink:p

Getting a copy of the pir shouldn`t be a problem - looks like they`ve already sussed Zs figures:) - in one case there`s over 200 light fittings to be rewired and dist`d onto a new sub-board. :(

Out of hours work is in the kitchen area, so my feeling is that it wolud be better off done late night :( - charge extra naturally, but, as Theo said, I need to keep it keen. ;)

I understand the firm not wanting to travel 300 miles, to do works - but need to check if we`ll be subbed to them. Have done the companies house check, (thanks Stu.) :x

Lot of sub boards - at the mo, it looks like i`d be doing half a dozen EIC`s, and twenty-nine MWC - unless I lump it all into one, humungous EIC :(

Discuss further in a little while - still trying to assess the materials costs.:_|Guiness Drink

Thanks again guys. :x :x

.....Lot of sub boards - at the mo, it looks like i`d be doing half a dozen EIC`s, and twenty-nine MWC - unless I lump it all into one, humungous EIC :(
ROTFL @ one humungous EIC!

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Seems a bit more logic to it now if you say the travelling distance are excessive for the original company!

spose they are based over by the Hotel chains head office or similar!

Sounds like you need "Carol - Apache - Vorderman" to help you do a bit o number crunchin!!! ;) ....

and you'll need to rope in some trainee sparks to do a bit of labouring for you by the sounds of it!! ?:| :|

On a slightly different note was thinking of you & your forthcoming Hols

what with all this XL airline collapse business in the news...

Hope all your bookings & travel arrangements are with a secure company m8!B-)

ROTFL @ one humungous EIC! :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:^O

Seems a bit more logic to it now if you say the travelling distance are excessive for the original company!

spose they are based over by the Hotel chains head office or similar!

Sounds like you need "Carol - Apache - Vorderman" to help you do a bit o number crunchin!!! ;) ....

That`s what Mrs. KME is here for - book keeper=number cruncherApplaud SmileyGuiness Drink

and you'll need to rope in some trainee sparks to do a bit of labouring for you by the sounds of it!! ?:| :|

Now, as it `appens............]:)Pray

On a slightly different note was thinking of you & your forthcoming Hols

what with all this XL airline collapse business in the news...

:_|

Hope all your bookings & travel arrangements are with a secure company m8!B-)
Well, now:

Therein lies a little tale.

We are booked with an online agent (travel republic). We knew are flights were with "first choice", so weren`t too bothered.

Mrs was getting all the paperwork in order this morning, after reading the Saturday paper........

Picked up the voucher for the hotel, and saw that it had been booked through medhotels.

WHO WERE MENTIONED IN THE `PAPER, AS THE ACCOMODATION ARM OF XL:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

So, looks like we can still fly out, but can`t stay anywhere when we get there.

`phone first choice, as travel republic lines have crashed, due to XL woes. They confirm that we won`t have any accomodation, and offer us a couple of other hotels (1 fleapit, and 1 @almost

KME didn't you have a thread about your holiday? It was there earlier and has now vanished? Am I going crazy?
You ARE CRAAAZEEEEY

You look like a cow...

Have a Lap-dog....

Call youself a vet.. but Know more sparkin than a lot of sparks...

You stop up late postin on here...

YES! I would most definatly call youi crazey!

No, mate, you aren`t!

I posted this afternoon, looking for anyone who had a family member in the travel business. It was just after posting, that we found out holiday was still on - so I deleted the post.

Well spotted.

You ARE CRAAAZEEEEYYou look like a cow...

Have a Lap-dog....

Call youself a vet.. but Know more sparkin than a lot of sparks...

You stop up late postin on here...

YES! I would most definatly call youi crazey!
You look like a guinea pig! There was definately a new thread by KME early afternoon - I'm sure...............ish

No, mate, you aren`t!I posted this afternoon, looking for anyone who had a family member in the travel business. It was just after posting, that we found out holiday was still on - so I deleted the post.

Well spotted.
s'ok then. So you have a holiday and a bed and everything? :|

That we do.

Mind you - we know one of the hotel owners out there, and emailed him to ask if he could find room for us - he replied this evening that he`d have "sorted something out for his `frendes`:)"

Plus - one of MRS KME`s buddies on the tripadvisor forum owns an apartment out there, and offered the use of that if we couldn`t sort things out.

SO, thanks to friends (neither of whom we`ve EVER met), the holiday would still have gone ahead. It just got a little spooky there, when EVERYONE gives you the runaround, and they`re all VERY nice, but can`t help you, and send you to someone else, et al.

Could always have been worse. We could be trying to get home, in order to fulfil our contracts to customers.

A very relieved Mrs. KME & I are very grateful for all moral & phychological support we recieved from all - including memebers of this forum. As usual - you delivered what was necessary. Thanks

KME didn't you have a thread about your holiday? It was there earlier and has now vanished? Am I going crazy?
No you're not, Mate. It was deleted by KME and I sent it to the Post Gravyard in the sky.