Sunnyboy Inverter - Device Disturbance ...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brix

Reaction score
My Sunnyboy SMA4000TL inverter is no longer outputting anything to the meter or grid.

Inverter is showing the following message. Device Disturbance ... restart in 300s [counting down in 10s intervals].
Nothing seems to happen after countdown.
Green light flashing 2s on 2s off. Red light on permanent.

Any ideas?

The fact it's trying to connect to the grid, and failing, suggests its the AC side. It wouldn't go through the delayed start routine if the DC side was at fault. It might be a fault with your grid supply, such as too high a voltage. You should be able to see what it thinks the grid voltage is on the display.

Does this help at all (sorry about quality of shot but it was so bright I couldn't see my screen clearly!)

1655625083807.png

No tripped switches.

20220617_101558.jpg

If you tap on the display it lights up. Try a complete shut down of AC and DC, leave for 5 mins and reboot, it should run through several screens that give information about voltages.

If you tap on the display it lights up. Try a complete shut down of AC and DC, leave for 5 mins and reboot, it should run through several screens that give information about voltages.
Might a reboot sort it?

And if so, can I achieve this by a 5 min shutdown of AC only at night?

Reason I ask is that access to the inverter on the roof is via someone else's flat and although there is a right of access, they are abroad. The AC parts are in a communal hall so no problem accessing those.

Might a reboot sort it?

And if so, can I achieve this by a 5 min shutdown of AC only at night?

Reason I ask is that access to the inverter on the roof is via someone else's flat and although there is a right of access, they are abroad. The AC parts are in a communal hall so no problem accessing those.
Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.

My guess would be the grid connect relay in the inverter, u know the bits that go chatter chatter chatter when the inverter connects. They are only rated for X amount of operations as they r a mechanical part. I suspect X has been reached!

My guess would be the grid connect relay in the inverter, u know the bits that go chatter chatter chatter when the inverter connects. They are only rated for X amount of operations as they r a mechanical part. I suspect X has been reached!
Thanks. Is that something which would identified on the LED display?

the other possibility is a failed earth connection. I've had trouble with earthing SMAs before, and had to install an earth rod for the unit, connected to the outer casing.

Thanks. Is that something which would identified on the LED display?
it would probably be worth contacting the SMA technical helpline, don't be put off by the German number, they speak very good English, and last time I used that service, they had an ex-pat British fella dealing with the enquires.

That’s what went on my Sunnyboy the 1st time, replaced under warranty, 2nd time it died different fault and out of warranty I replaced it with a Solis 1/2 the price and same 5 year warranty.

That’s what went on my Sunnyboy the 1st time, replaced under warranty, 2nd time it died different fault and out of warranty I replaced it with a Solis 1/2 the price and same 5 year warranty.
Mine is about eleven years old. Terrible timing - lost about £750 in income!

it would probably be worth contacting the SMA technical helpline, don't be put off by the German number, they speak very good English, and last time I used that service, they had an ex-pat British fella dealing with the enquires.
I'll try this.

The reset at night turning off only AC didn't seem to work.