Sunnyboy Inverter - Device Disturbance ...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Binky, SMA customer service second to none, that why you pay more for their products, the intangible extras!

That’s what went on my Sunnyboy the 1st time, replaced under warranty, 2nd time it died different fault and out of warranty I replaced it with a Solis 1/2 the price and same 5 year warranty.
that's what I end to do these days, apart from the price, the fact that the newer design inverters are also more efficient makes it a bit of a no-brainer. Only thing Solis doesn't offer that SMA does is 'global optimisation' which is a form of shade compensation, which, in short is an algorithm that allows the MPPTs to search a wider band for optimal power output.

Thanks for the advice folks. SMA were indeed really helpful despite my being PV owner rather than installer (my installer's website is live but number is dead). They said 99% sure it is the residual current monitoring unit and the whole thing needs to be replaced.

My set up is 3.75kW currently with Sunnyboy SMA4000TL.

What would those of you who know about such things recommend for replacement?

Thanks for the advice folks. SMA were indeed really helpful despite my being PV owner rather than installer (my installer's website is live but number is dead). They said 99% sure it is the residual current monitoring unit and the whole thing needs to be replaced.

Get a Solis, as previously mentioned, 5 year warranty, 1/2 the price, don’t forget to buy the WiFi dongo thingy that is sold separately and from memory costs about £30, allows you see your generation on your app so that you know all is ok.

Takes about an hour, fairly easy if you know what you are doing, the trouble is you have to cut off the DC plugs going into the Sunny Boy as they are not MC4 and just about every other inverter inc the Solis takes MC4 connectors which from memory are supplied maybeeees. So you will need MC4 crimping pliers. Remake the AC power connection and drill a couple of holes into the wall for the mounting plate.
Have to say the obvious, if you do not feel confident and competent to do this then please get some who is involved, you are potentially dealing with decent sized DC and AC voltages that will hurt if you get it wrong.

Takes about an hour, fairly easy if you know what you are doing, the trouble is you have to cut off the DC plugs going into the Sunny Boy as they are not MC4 and just about every other inverter inc the Solis takes MC4 connectors which from memory are supplied maybeeees. So you will need MC4 crimping pliers. Remake the AC power connection and drill a couple of holes into the wall for the mounting plate.
Have to say the obvious, if you do not feel confident and competent to do this then please get some who is involved, you are potentially dealing with decent sized DC and AC voltages that will hurt if you get it wrong.
Of course! I was more thinking about how long a pro would take. I have fully fitted a lovely 240W off grid system myself and have MC4 crimping pliers to prove it! But I was not considering this one myself even if just from an insurance POV.

Someone has quoted me £1200 (without VAT or access) to replace with a Solex 3.6 which seems rather on the high side. Also, is a 3.6 sufficient for a 3.75kw system?

Of course! I was more thinking about how long a pro would take. I have fully fitted a lovely 240W off grid system myself and have MC4 crimping pliers to prove it! But I was not considering this one myself even if just from an insurance POV.

Someone has quoted me £1200 (without VAT or access) to replace with a Solex 3.6 which seems rather on the high side. Also, is a 3.6 sufficient for a 3.75kw system?
Inverter plus about £100 for fitting is far more like the price it should be. 3.6 inverter will be fine, but I prefer to match the array and possibly slightly over size the inverter these days.

If you have a DC isolator, it's a doddle to do, just don't mix up the strings...

I have DC isolators.

Would the Solis-Mini-3600-4G 3.6kW work well on a 3.75kw? Can't seem to find the 6kw one available.

PM me, I have a sunny boy 4000, U might be able to persuade me to part with it ;-) that would be plug n play ;-)
Cheers
Stuart