SWA around Decking ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any views on if existing SWA that feeds garden outdoor lighting sockets is a breach to EICR ? Its not a new install and was run around the deck when the deck was installed 8 years ago. I know the SWA in a garden does not need to be buried and equally, it should not be fixed to any wooden fencing so am just wondering if it’s ok to leave it on the surface that’s the ~150mm gap between the edge of the Decking and the perimeter wooden fencing ?

At the moment the the SWA is laying on top of edging gravel and about 20-30 cm below the top edge of the raised decking and in the 15cm gap to the fencing.

Thx

It’s certainly on the gravel surface, but is physically protected / out the way by being between the fence gap and the Decking.

It’s certainly on the gravel surface, but is physically protected / out the way by being between the fence gap and the Decking.
what the chance of someone putting a spade through it? By the sounds of it, highly unlikley. Personally I would prefer it was fixed to the decking than just lying around, but it sounds like it's a non-issue.

what the chance of someone putting a spade through it? By the sounds of it, highly unlikley. Personally I would prefer it was fixed to the decking than just lying around, but it sounds like it's a non-issue.
You would struggle to get a spade in the gap unless it was running parallel rather than across the SWA. I think someone would need to try hard to have a go at the cable.

The gap would be too narrow to get a screwdriver or hammer in to fix cable clips to the side of the decking bearers.

If they are all insulated enclosures check the armour is actually earthed.

If they are all insulated enclosures check the armour is actually earthed.
Yes, I did find that some glands did not cross connect the earthing of the armour, so that will be fixed. At the moment it’s all isolated from the feed.