Swa earthing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc1996

Reaction score
I’ve seen it a few times where the swa has been used to earth a motor but they are relying on the locking nut of the gland to earth the motor. When carrying out maintenance I’ve tested the connection and I get 0.00ohms on my low ohm meter from the panel earth to the motor case. Realistically is this an issue relying on the locking nut ( it’s not a piranha style one )

I’ve seen it a few times where the swa has been used to earth a motor but they are relying on the locking nut of the gland to earth the motor. When carrying out maintenance I’ve tested the connection and I get 0.00ohms on my low ohm meter from the panel earth to the motor case. Realistically is this an issue relying on the locking nut ( it’s not a piranha style one )
piranha nuts are just a nicer way of doing the same thing. Should have a banjo, earth terminated in a suitable ring crimp and nut and bolt to attach to banjo. If you are suggesting the earth has just been jammed under the locking nut, then that is poor workmanship, but 0.00 Ohms can't be argued with.

SWA is not a good means of feeding power to a motor.
Motors vibrate, SWA and its glands do not like vibration.
The industrial plants I worked in over the years mostly had SWA feeding the motors, never had much issues with it. We did have one plant that had 128 motors connected directly to Pyro, now that didn’t last, to be fair they lasted about 10 years then the Pyro ends had to be remade into a JB then we came out of the JB with SWA and into the motor.

Yeah it’s just the gland no banjo and relying on the lock nut for the earth. The gland was tight was just checking it on routine maintenance but if it was a replacement I’d use parang nuts they are good they are. The motor is metal 😂

just the gland no banjo and relying on the lock nut for the earth.
i always wondered why we have to use a banjo on SWA into metal boxes ,in plastic i can see why, but in metal boxes,if the back nut and gland are tight when the earth path is good and you should not need the banjo, but if the back nut and gland are lose, the banjo will be lose, so no point having it there in the first place, then there are ones that do the gland and banjo into plastic boxes, how tight can you get on a plastic box ,(does the plastic not just move out of the way ) i use two back nuts ( one for the banjo and the other for the going onto the box), but i do like the piranha nuts a good earth every time no matter how tight the gland is,

i always wondered why we have to use a banjo on SWA into metal boxes ,in plastic i can see why, but in metal boxes,if the back nut and gland are tight when the earth path is good and you should not need the banjo, but if the back nut and gland are lose, the banjo will be lose, so no point having it there in the first place, then there are ones that do the gland and banjo into plastic boxes, how tight can you get on a plastic box ,(does the plastic not just move out of the way ) i use two back nuts ( one for the banjo and the other for the going onto the box), but i do like the piranha nuts a good earth every time no matter how tight the gland is,
In reality we probably don't, but it does tend to look neater. Putting the banjos on the outside of a box has always mystified me slightly

In reality we probably don't, but it does tend to look neater. Putting the banjos on the outside of a box has always mystified me slightly

One of the reasons bangos went on the outside was so that non intrusive (visual) inspection could be carried out, if the bango was on the inside then isolation of the plant would have to carried out to allow for this more intrusive inspection.

yes much better in side the box, but why do we have them in the first place? , I can see a need for them when we make off into a plastic box,
reasons bangos went on the outside was so that non intrusive (visual) inspection could be carried out
if they where not there we would not need to inspect them?

yes much better in side the box, but why do we have them in the first place? , I can see a need for them when we make off into a plastic box,

Outside banjo can be easier if box awkward/full.
some of us earth the armour via a banjo in a jcn box negating earthing armour at both ends or at a plastic light fitting etc.

some of us earth the armour via a banjo in a jcn box negating earthing armour at both ends or at a plastic light fitting etc.;)

some of us earth the armour via a banjo in a jcn box negating earthing armour at both ends or at a plastic light fitting etc.;)