SWA not earthed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noz,Missed the TT bit!

I only read the last post as I "thought" I had read the rest of the thread!!!

In which case the cable must be earthed supply end if you are splitting the earthing systems.

I'll go and re-read the thread.
I went back and checked the OP;)

He said that it had a rod

Thanks, anyone know where you can buy constant force springs?

Hi All,

I have to say, i am only a newbie, and have NO qualifications in electrical installation WHATSOEVER but all this sort of thing just makes me laugh.....

First off, What is the big deal here??? All you have to do is to re-terminate the house end properly with a suitable gland and an adaptable box [just like everyone else has said] and then TT the installation in the garage and either terminate the SWA at the garage end into a plastic box, or better still, [as it is stronger] use a steel one and terminate the cable using an insulating gland. [to keep the house earth system separate from the garage one]

How difficult can it be?????

There most certainly is a reg concerning all this:

542.1.8 [bRB] "Where a number of installations have separate earthing arrangements, any protective conductors common to any of these installations shall either be capable of carrying the maximum fault current likely to flow through them or be earthed within one installation only and insulated from the earthing arrangments of any other installation. In the latter circumstances, if the protective conductor forms part of a cable, the protective conductor shall be earthed only in the installation containing the associated protective device"

What is the point in messing about trying to find ways to earth the armour, [constant force springs and all that] because even if you DO manage to find some, guess what IT STILL WILL NOT COMPLY WITH THE REGS!!!!!

All terminations of ANY cables, not only have to be electrically sound, they also have to be sound from a MECHANICAL point of view, you cannot have a cable dangling around on its conductors..... Apart from this, you cannot just clamp the SWA to the wall some how, and then lead off the conductors to wherever, as, if they are not sheathed, they must be in an enclosure anyway, or this is another reg broken..

Why make things so difficult for yourself, when all you have to do is to buy a gland and a tin box???

Right, i am just off to check my spark plugs using an endoscope up the exhaust system...

john....

Last edited by a moderator:
earth the SWA at the house end but isolate the Armoured wires at the garage end. Do not use the 3rd core as earth. Just use the 2 live conductors (L+N). Earth at garage via electrode thus making it a TT system.

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts