Swalec and HED seals.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be advised:

In deepest, darkest Swansea; Swalec have taken over from Western Power, as having responsibility for HED.

I recently attended a job; TN-C-S, with a 6mm EC.

Phoned up to advise them of necessity for visit; in order to connect new 16mm EC into side of HED.

Conversation as follows:

(s)= swalec; (k)=kme

(s):"Are you a registered electrician?"

(k):"Yes, we are."

(s):"Then we are giving you permission to cut the seals, and do the connection yourself. When you`ve finished your works, we just ask you to call us again, and we`ll make a note that the seals need to be redone, next time we attend the property"

To say I was a bit amazed was somewhat onderstating things. It turns out swalec don`t have the manpower to come and do noddy things like this; and are happy to farm it off to us. They`re hoping to introduce this, across the country.

About flippin` time.

Only *little, teeny weeny problem*:

When I call to tell them I`ve done, they decide they have to make an appointment to go to the job. They call back with a time, and leave a message on my answering machine:

(s): " Hello KME, we will be going to the property at ............., to connect up the meter tails, on ...........

DUH!!!

So now I`ve got to `phone them again, to try and convince them that the meter tails don`t NEED to be connected.

About time a "dedicated" `phone no. was issued, with an intelligent person on the other end, to deal with the likes of us. Life would be so less stressful.

Here endeth the story (and we all lived happily ever after) :x :x:x

Yes Indeed Mate - I do believe that this has only happened since SSE bought out our SWALEC, Sir.

SWALEC (As you know, Sir) has never let you cut seals, where as - SSE have.

:D

This is a sign of the times. These providers do not have the staff anymore. My recent experience with the job with reverse polarity was as an emergency i was asked to isolate supply which i did. It took the board 24 hours to come out and correct fault. As i have said in the past if i can put things right myself ie put correct size tails or earthing to correct size i will.

batty

Concur mate, but isn`t it SO much better when they`re happy for you to do it?

I`ve cut seals many times before, but there is something comforting about having the owner`s blessing - if you know what I mean?

Or maybe I`m a bit soft!!!

Called out on an emergency about six weeks ago on a saturday evening. Customer had lost neutral, overhead supply. Guy from board rang customer back i was still there he asked me to take main fuse out to save them time for when they arrived. I don't mind helping them out i think they are under a lot of pressure.

batty

I,ve given up ringing suppliers or dno it takes to long out of your life,i just leave new tails in henley, earth in block and tell customer to sit on phone for 2 hours until someone who knows what is required talks to them ,Oh test and connect of course we will send someone round. Doh

I am glad it wasn't just me, Sirsparksabit. :)

Well they wouldnt want theft of power now would they, thanks for the link.
Speaking of which - I meant to put this on here a fortnight ago.....

LeccyTheft.jpg