switch flash

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
Can anything be done about the flash of light (?arc) that occurs inside a switch accessory when pressing the switch? It's quite noticeable when done in the dark. Is it due to poor quality or not pressing the switch quickly enough or summat else?

Thanks for any details/advice.

TTbb

Can anything be done about the flash of light (?arc) that occurs inside a switch accessory when pressing the switch? It's quite noticeable when done in the dark. Is it due to poor quality or not pressing the switch quickly enough or summat else?Thanks for any details/advice.

TTbb
What load are you switching ?? sounds like a poor switch on is way out to me

Can anything be done about the flash of light (?arc) that occurs inside a switch accessory when pressing the switch? It's quite noticeable when done in the dark. Is it due to poor quality or not pressing the switch quickly enough or summat else?Thanks for any details/advice.

TTbb
1/ Black-out curtains

2/ Not using cheap switches with thin plastic

3/ Put less load on the circuit

4/ Wear sunglasses..... or a paper bag over your head

5/ Get someone else to turn the switch off while you face the other way

Basic principal of electwikery... breaking a circuit under load will ALWAYS cause some sort of spark.... (hence the old don't turn the lights switch if you can smell gas!) :_|

Is there any consequence from it? I have noticed it occasionally. So long as you don't have a gas leak! :D
All switches arc to some degree......

Just depends on the build like (and the load)...........

:D

Basic principal of electwikery... breaking a circuit under load will ALWAYS cause some sort of spark....
Just to add...

This is the reason why a Main isolator switch for a CU is spring assisted in its action when switching OFF..

So it pulls the contacts open quicker.. Thus reducing arcing & sparking

which increases the life span of the main switch contacts....

and stops em welding together when breaking under FULL load!!

Thanks for all the responses :)

The loads are variable - one's a new metalclad fused switch for the immersion heater, another is for two lights, another is for a single flush socket outlet.

Well, an excuse to buy some Raybans I guess...

as a mini experiment I've wandered arround the house and most switched will give a visual spark when turned on and off.

Try it

as a mini experiment I've wandered arround the house and most switched will give a visual spark when turned on and off.Try it
I'm glad I've livened up your weekend! Are you bored now that 'I'm a celebrity.. ' has finished? ;) What were your feelings on the insects being crunched?

I'm glad I've livened up your weekend! Are you bored now that 'I'm a celebrity.. ' has finished? ;) What were your feelings on the insects being crunched?
Yea - I'm all for it. Insects don't have feelings!

Can't stand I'm a (non) celebrity mind. Terrible program.

Yea - I'm all for it. Insects don't have feelings!Can't stand I'm a (non) celebrity mind. Terrible program.

Totally agree, it's absolute drivel.

(mind you, I was glad Joe won :D )

I hate the programme too. But Joe is a star.

Apache - he was in Eastenders.

TTbb
There not 'PL' brand are they ?

Placing a suppressor component across light switches, in particular with low energy/flossy fittings produces a undesirable effect...

:_|

(I've seen them pulse or attempt to turn on)