Taking the plunge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Seems i've finally taken the plunge and thrown myself into something I meant to do 20 years ago.

Just a bit of background as to why i've joined you happy lot! My grandad worked for the Yorkshire Electricity Board most of his life and before i'd even hit double figures in age (back in the 70s) my weekends were spent learning how to wire plugs and tinkering with anything else that involved wires and sockets. When he rewired his house in 1978 I built my own little house out of the dining chairs and 'installed' his new Crabtree sockets. After the rewire was complete I was the happy owner of loads of 1930s round pin sockets. At 13 years old I got a tool kit for chirstmas and spent christmas day installing sockets in my parents garage. Fast forward another 24 years and in that time i've done complete rewires, consumer units, outbuildings, lighting circuits and saved friends and family vast amounts of money in electrician fees.

But, i'm not an electrician!! I've always been passionate about electrics and despair at the appalling work done by DIYers and even qualified electricians. It really bothers me how little respect some seem to have for what is an essential but potentially lethal commodity. With Part P i've realised I am now restricted in what I can do and I respect that which is why i've decided to take the 17th Edition course and start the ball rolling in becoming properly qualified so I can follow a passion that has obsessed me for 30 years. The experience i've gained from others and by just getting stuck in will no doubt serve me well and it will be a revelation to learn where i'm going wrong. I'm under no illusions - it'll need effort but i've never been so enthusiastic about anything in my life. You could say my only passions in life are music and electrics. As a career in music is a no go, seems the only way I can satisfy my craving is this. Tell me if i'm insane.

I intend to carry on working at my current job (technical brochure design, exhibition stand building - family company) and possibly, when the time is right, set up another division in the company to cater for the new skills.

Apologies for the waffle - i'll leave it there as my 17th Edition has just arrived from Amazon.

Hope to talk some more in the future.

James

Welcome to the Forum, James. That is some Opening Post Mate. Facinating stuff. :D

Tell me if i'm insane.
Well, Mate - If that were true, there would be no problem. You see, it does help to be insane or slightly insane to be a member here. :^O

However, if you were really insane - you would be sharing a padded cell with our member "Special Location", we have medical staff on a 3 x 8hr shift rota, who can admininister medication for you. :^O

Welcome to the Forum, James. That is some Opening Post Mate. Facinating stuff. :D Well, Mate - If that were true, there would be no problem. You see, it does help to be insane or slightly insane to be a member here. :^O

However, if you were really insane - you would be sharing a padded cell with our member "Special Location", we have medical staff on a 3 x 8hr shift rota, who can admininister medication for you. :^O
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! ?:| ? :|

trying to figure out how I missed this post???? ?:| ? :| :(

that must of been when I had to sit with a bucket on me head in the back of Theory's cave cuz I exported Apaches earths in KME's back garden!Blushing:_| ]:) ] :) ]:)

It must have been,Specs. ]:)

Speaking of "Exported Earth", I would like to know where Steptoe is? :|

:(

Latest posts