Talk about close

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O dear.

Good job they are very observant otherwise this could of be very costly.

Loose Connection on to the RCD was it?

Had it had any work done on it recently?

I've encountered this twice on my travels during the last 2.5 years..

On one occasion, the heat melted (old style Hager) the plastic insulator bar around the neutral (Which sits above the exposed Live buss bar..)

The neutral bar distorted with the heat, touching the Live bar..

:_|

:^O Meant the OP but would like to know why yours happened too. Looks like the most common cause is loose terminations.
:D

Yes, loose connection again (Neutral bar)...

The RCD did trip by the way, sadly it stayed that way after the short...

:)

caused by a loose live terminal on suppliers side of supply incoming side of rcd, heating up the live supply cable and burning the main terminal through excess heat, this customer now wants a full rewire ;) which im pricing up at the moment. and fuse board change tommorrow, replaced rcd with a temporary, for tonight ;)

I went to an old wylex one in the summer

shower kept blowing the fuse,,,,replaced with paper clip

weakest link then was the incoming tails,,,,,luckily it was in a garage

What's going on with the network???

I had a call out like this the other day in a commercial premises (Just told no electric). As it happens the neutral conductor was burn't out on the network side of the main fuse... :_| :_|

So turned CU off and called suppliers emergency helpline, then went home:z:z

I had a job a few years back..

Loose connection at the meter terminals..... meter above CU.

Tails insulation overheated..... melted burning PVC dripped onto top of CU!

customer smelt burning.. saw flames on top of CU...

rang me around 11:00pm

(luck they had NOT upstairs gone to bed!

cuz CU in cellar & would not have noticed it!)

they had one of these radio transmitter meters.. it had burned the electronics & metering bit out, so they couldn't get a true reading!

All CU wiring etc. was fine...

rang supply company to sort out! ;)

Lucky but sad at the same time, Isn't it about time they make it part of your buildings insurance that you must provide proof of PIR every 10 years max. Not sure if i will get shot for this but how many of you guys and girls have been involved in thermal imaging? expensive but impressive when done correctly this would be a useful extra on top of the PIR. Going to stop now can feel myself getting the old soap box out. X(

As im in the fire service also i have been to call outs involvling a couple of CCU's and 1 was a loose connection on the neutral bar and started to melt the cable away.

Also another one where a ladies father in law wired a shed up with a few sockets and a light the swa that was supplying it from a switch fuse that was next to the CCU was just getting so overloaded it just blew the switch fuse to charcoal.

As im in the fire service also i have been to call outs involvling a couple of CCU's and 1 was a loose connection on the neutral bar and started to melt the cable away.

Also another one where a ladies father in law wired a shed up with a few sockets and a light the swa that was supplying it from a switch fuse that was next to the CCU was just getting so overloaded it just blew the switch fuse to charcoal.

Latest posts