telephone/computer points

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgaw81

Reaction score
Bit of advise requierd,

Im starting a rewire between xmas and new year, and the customer has asked for telephone points throughout the property, which isn't a problem, but they have asked for computer points in three rooms aswell. Am i right in saying i tie these into the telephone points aswell?. Or is there some other way of doing it?

Thanks in advance

See if you can get them to pay for one of these. It means you just install one point in each room but it handles tv, phone and computer on one cable.

Option 1. Network cables (Cat5e utp) back to central position (existing hub/switch)

Telephone cables (6 wire) back to incomming master socket

Option 2. Integrate. Link incomming telephone feed/s to same location as the network hardware and wire up all required points with cat5e cables. This enables you to mix and match to customer requirements.

Congrats on your first GGP - An informative one at that too. :D

Thanks for all the replies, i will be getting back in touch with client regards to what they are looking for.

Hi Guys

good thinking on wiring Cat 5 or 6 higher traffic speed as that is what we all want when on line.You can get modular plates that will take both ethernet and phone jacks for connection to 5 ethernet cables (IDC connections).With Vista and home media centres becoming the norm as mentioned a router or central location for equipment.

Make sure the customer explains exactly what he wants as it wont be what he was expecting when finished.fitted home media systems in Chelsea and midlands they will want more or expect more,also agree on costs for materials up front, keep cables segregated from mains as much as possible at least 150mm.always worth runing a good coax cable with the cables at the same time as not to expensive and extra bonus when you give video facility for tv.

Browse Sfix for prices good box of cat 5 xx worth it, should be able to pick up off data installers for a drink token.

HDMI connections becoming more used as one cable with the small connections on the end, for audio video.

Happy chasing.

These have been popular and might be of interest:

Media modules

Modular plates

We are a bit weak on the data side, we supply the cable but dont offer a router or hub. Interesting thread as it shows the equipment necessary. I have seen the Schneider system but getting them to supply information is not easy. However if you need any further information I can dig it out for you.

TBH, in my house we are wireless networked apart from the study where the router lives. Apart from the two pc's in the study, I have a laptop that spends time in various rooms plus the kids keep moving their pc's when they decide to reorganise their rooms. Being wireless gives you that option and it's worked perfectly well for several years now. I'd be inclined to ask how they currently use their network, and how they think they would like to use it and offer some fixed points and a wireless router.

I found out that they have one Laptop and one desktop, thats all, they what both computers to be able to 'plug' in although the laptop is of wireless just now. One computer is going in study, next to hub. But they still want point in wall, other one in bed upstairs, about 10m run off cable. Still this is all extra over and above original price, and they are one off the 'cost not a problem' clients.