Temporary installations---testing of ??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silk6911

Reaction score
Hi guys just joined.

Anybody got experience on the testing procedure for temporary installations. Talking here about outdoor marquee events,fairs,concerts etc.

Like to know if this type of installation has to be tested to BS 7671 (eg full 100% testing of every circuit at end of line, (R1 +R2, ins res etc) ,assuming same company has installed all wiring everywhere. Every cct is RCBO protected from local weatherproof distribution units and all temp.lights have been PAT tested proir to install. Most of wiring is done with PVC leads 16 amp c form weatherproof plugs/sockets.

Could i possibly just test to local distro of each tent? Prove al RCBO's are good and get Zs at each output socket prior to plugging in lead?

I believe there is another BS standard which could be adhered to for temporary installations but dont know much about it.

Any comments welcome, cheers

Hi guys just joined.Anybody got experience on the testing procedure for temporary installations. Talking here about outdoor marquee events,fairs,concerts etc.
Welcome aboard Mate. :)

Yes, Mr Sworld is the man you need to talk to, that is what he does. (concerts etc).

Hi guys just joined.Anybody got experience on the testing procedure for temporary installations. Talking here about outdoor marquee events,fairs,concerts etc.

Like to know if this type of installation has to be tested to BS 7671 (eg full 100% testing of every circuit at end of line, (R1 +R2, ins res etc) ,assuming same company has installed all wiring everywhere. Every cct is RCBO protected from local weatherproof distribution units and all temp.lights have been PAT tested proir to install. Most of wiring is done with PVC leads 16 amp c form weatherproof plugs/sockets.

Could i possibly just test to local distro of each tent? Prove al RCBO's are good and get Zs at each output socket prior to plugging in lead?

I believe there is another BS standard which could be adhered to for temporary installations but dont know much about it.

Any comments welcome, cheers
Hi. Welcome to the forum. :)

Right, down to business. Any pre-made and PAT tested leads or fixtures are not classed as fixed wiring and therefore do not need to be tested to BS7671. As long as the PAT tests are up to date and they are suitable for the location they are in.

I would make sure that you have an acceptable Ze reading if you are using a generator. A Zs reading at the end of the longest run will confirm any fuses/mcb's will trip in time but the presence of rcd's will overcome any problems.

I would however fit a 300mA RCD at the source of the supply however to protect the wiring and to help with any supplies designated for sound and lighting companies. They DO NOT want 30mA rcd's on their supplies! Believe me! :^O

The best test is polarity (to ensure nothing has been swapped over in the c/forms and test the rcd's to ensure they trip in time.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions I'll be happy to help. :D

Thanks for quick response mate.

I was concerned cos the way i read it in the new regs book was that the installation should be treated just as a normal installation. Theres seperate parts in the 17th edition on 'Temporary Installations' and another on 'Exhibitions and Events'. If it's the latter it says testing should be carried out in accordance to Chapter 61 (i think) which is the full Insp and testing procedure....now i'm getting a headache.

The job i'm on is an exhibition, an event and it's temporary!!...mabye it's down to me to define it??....Like you say if the leads and lights are PAT tested and all RCBO's (plus Zs) is checked then i'm not leaving much else to chance!...

anyway thanks again...keep in touch...lol

As the leads are pre-made they fall under PAT regs rather than BS7671.

If this wasn't true than all rock'n'roll rigs would have to be tested as they entirely rely on pre-made c/forms and other forms of connection.

The exhibitions chapter applies when temporary twin and earth wiring is terminated directly into CU's, sockets and lighting fixtures.

I work in a major exhibition centre so have had to take on board the new chapter and I think that pre-made cabling circumvents this requirement.

This might be the other British Standard you are thinking of.

After rereading your post I have one question.

Are the supply boards 'hard-wired'? Because if they are then they will have to be tested to BS7671.

As the leads are pre-made they fall under PAT regs rather than BS7671.

Whereas - if you made them or any units etc - they WOULD fall under the spell of BS7671:2008.

As the leads are pre-made they fall under PAT regs rather than BS7671.Whereas - if you made them or any units etc - they WOULD fall under the spell of BS7671:2008.
I'm not sure if you got my point (forgive if you did) but if you make up leads with sockets and plugs and PAT test them then BS7671 is not applicable.

I think the best way to describe this is:

You go to a house and test the fixed wiring under BS7671. The owner asks you to make a 4-way extension lead for them. You would PAT test the extension lead not test it under 17th Edition.

Or did I get your inquiry wrong? :eek: