Tenant Safety Issue advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTH

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a few let properties. In one of them the American tenants have layer an extension lead through from a bedroom to the bath end of an on-suite. This has then been used for mobile phone charging but also a hair drier.

Whilst we in the U.K. have no electrical sockets in our bathrooms other than a protected Shaver Socket, it’s normal to have electrical sockets within bathrooms in the US.

I’ve removed the Extension Lead and advised them if the safety issue, but I’m conscious that they can equally just put it back.

Question. Are there any views on Landlord liability here and methods to remove a landlord liability ?

Alternatively, are there any certified safe ways to have a hair drier in a bathroom ?

Thx

Whilst we in the U.K. have no electrical sockets in our bathrooms other than a protected Shaver Socket, it’s normal to have electrical sockets within bathrooms in the US.
the good old US of A use a different voltage(120V)to the UK (230V) and have different regulations to the UK, we can have a socket in a room containing a bath or shower ,but there are restriction to how close they can be to the bath/shower, ( this is because there is a fad ( maybe fad is not the right word but its the only one I can think off at the moment ) to fit baths at the bottom of your Bed, or some where else in the bedroom ),

I had this conversation with my Australian BIL who, like most Ausies has the washing machine in the bathroom next to the shower and regularly uses a hairdryer in the bathroom.

I told him English regs don't allow a socket in the bathroom in case anyone uses the hairdryer in the shower and kills themself. His reply (think Australian accent) "Well if they are that bloody stupid they deserve to die"

In the US it is a requirement to have sockets in the bathroom near the basin but they have to have GFI (RCD) built in.