Terminating swa picture guide

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kerching i had a similar problem on my Ipad matey it needs the software update if you haven't done it already :D and no wim trying to get used to typing on a mac laptop now instead of my dell :p

Well on Friday I got into a conversation with an electrician who had been told by his employer that the way to terminate a SWA into an insulated enclosure was to take 3-4 SWA strands through the gland, sleeve and connect to earth bar at each end. FFS who are these people !!!!!!!!!!!

Well on Friday I got into a conversation with an electrician who had been told by his employer that the way to terminate a SWA into an insulated enclosure was to take 3-4 SWA strands through the gland, sleeve and connect to earth bar at each end. FFS who are these people !!!!!!!!!!!
ex services?  :C

See some intresting methods on the highways the old favourite seems to be the BS951 clamps wrapped around the armour of the cable, but the other one ive seen is the steel strands twisted together and put into a connector block.

then ive seen a few old install where there is no connection to the armour 2-core cable and the earth loop readings in excess of a few hundred ohms.

Well apparently the electrician got fired for refusing to do it that way and requested earthing nuts or banjo and bolt, company owner said we don't do it that way and we don't need you next week (he was sub contract).

I have come across this method before, on chemical plants where enclosures were high IP rated and plastic. Use of banjos would have compromised the IP rating.In some cases a banjo could have been fitted internally, but not all and it was thought a bit naff anyway as it crowded the enclosure space. The strand method was used on every termination for consistency. It didn't matter which

3 strands, all strands are in contact and continuity thus maintained.

Thanks for this .. am running outdoor supply to my new shed using 6mm swa .. this was very usefull 

Can we have a demo on some, 300mm 4core Cu in the bottom of a water filled trench please. It's not that easy in a dirty environment

Can we have a demo on some, 300mm 4core Cu in the bottom of a water filled trench please. It's not that easy in a dirty environment
Live or dead jointing?

Put your request in and Miss Sweden will sort you out!
I'll see what I can do next time a bit of 300 comes my way. :)

@wrcsparks, a decent bucket, some wipes and a pair of boots with no holes in is a good way to start... :D