Terms, abbreviations,slang,descriptions used within the trade

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Doktor

Reaction score
Right!

Don't know if this has been done before? but as i read the forum(with great interest i should add!), certain things pop up that im not sure the meaning of!

Now i know this is everyday jargon to you all, but as I'm on my level 2(2330) and obviously have LOADS to learn, any help with terms, what things mean(i.e TT ) would be a great help, not only to myself but a lot of other students i hope?

I know i will get to the various terms,names ect eventually(maybe not!) but any input given will be like a revision aid(so to speak).

For Example:- lb , what does it stand for? and there's way too much for me to list, so feel free to add anything you like that may be beneficial to us students learning your craft.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Doktor, They're all listed for reference in BS7671 but take a look here as well: www.tlc-direct.co.uk/book/abriv.htm

Good luck.

As has been said, Part 2 of the wiring regulations is called definitions. it contains about 9 or 10 pages of definitions. There is little point in having them all written down on the forum as most electricians should have copies of BS7671. There are numerous other reference books as well covering similar topics. For example most books by Brain Scaddan are written in an easy to read style, with a clear descriptive text. There are other good authors and publications as well. Obviously due to copyright it would not be appropriate to post pages from these sort of books. But anyone serious about working in the industry will need to purchase some anyway.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been said, Part 2 of the wiring regulations is called definitions. it contains about 9 or 10 pages of definitions. There is little point in having them all written down on the forum as most electricians should have copies of BS7671. There are numerous other reference books as well covering similar topics. For example most books by Brain Scaddan are written in an easy to read style, with a clear descriptive text. There are other good authors and publications as well. Obviously due to copyrite copyright it would not be appropriate to post pages from these sort of books. But anyone serious about working in the industry will need to purchase some anyway.Doc H.
Doc H.

Pleas see above...

:Blushing

Doc H.Pleas see above...

:Blushing
My proof reader will not work after 17:00pm, but I knew someone else would check for me. Corrected, Thank you.

Doc H.

Ok thanks for the replies, I've got the bgb, osg, trevor linsey level 2, 2357 nvq sixth edition, where are the terms in the bgb ? Am away from book at this time to check, any other books you can recommend? Really appreciate any info you feed,going over the science of electricity at the mo,the course has started to get interesting now, looking forward to the months ahead

One thing to remember is that we us terms for things are not the correct terminology and should they be used in an exam you can fail it due to incorrect terminology

eg megger the circuit is not the correct terminology in the eyes of the C & G so BEWARE

Yep see what your saying septic, but it's more about understanding what your describing/saying rather than using that terminology in exams

The Doktor,

Actually when (if) you get to 2391 then as Septic says, you MUST use the correct terminology, and this does apply to other exams also.

The external markers have a marking plan and only a little leeway as to awarding marks if the answer does not contain the correct terms.

You will see this if you read the chief examiners reports.

Incorrect terminology happens frequently with customers who say things such as, my power shower, when they mean an electric shower, they call it power because in their mind it has power to it. Or someone requests I need two new plugs in this office for the computer. when they mean sockets and then when they say 'two' do they mean two outlets as in two singles. or one double? If electricians also start using incorrect terminology then confusion and mistakes become more likely, especially if working as part of a larger business where you need to pass accurate information on to your colleagues. a forum favorite "R1 or r1" We now have another one coming along where wrong names descriptions will be common, I need a landlords electric cert done please, or some may say Visual, PIR, EICR, all in their own mind trying to say the same thing, but who is correct.

Doc H.

Herr Doktor , the In , Ib , U2 stuff is on page 35 of the BRB.

As said above, Part 2 , Definitions , start on page 20 .

Then as Sceptical and the Doc said, there the "unofficial" terms which won't do for your exams .

Meggering is a generic term like "Hoovering" ......Meaning , Insulation tests @ 500 /1000V .

Pyro is the "Old School" term for MICC ( Which is now called MIMS for some reason)

Spaghetti is the Green/yellow sleeving that doesn't come on a drum.

A Pi$$er is an electric shock .

A "Brown trousers" job is working live ( Now virtually unheard of with the advent of H&S)

Sky Hooks are available at Edmundsons.

And CEF are best for a long weight.

Others will have more but I recommend you read "Definitions" .

Oh and Ib is the design current of a circuit.

is this for definitions, or slang?

I have LOADS of words that all the thick sparks dont know, ;)

but I think I have got this bunch educated in ISCOs and DUAL boxes at last,

how about MARLEY boxes, or 'tap tempteters', then we have wangles, screamers and the omipresent KY ,

and after Wednesday ANDY has probably has a few words he would use to descibe me, :D