Test results

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!!! :)

That's a massive help. Th elighting circuit is around 26m in length so that ones fine. From memory the ring is about 60m..I think so will see how the measurements come out once I've checked it again today.

Haven't done an ir test on a new reel but I might have to, the way the meter counts up in slow motion can't be right!!

Right just double checked all the connections and redid the tests.

Now have:

R1-0.5 Equals 67m

Rn-0.5 Equals 67m

R2-0.7 Equals 57m

Rough calculation the circuit length is about 65m so not far off.

IR p/n-1000, p/e-1000, n/e-492

As for the croc clips on the meter, I definitely think they are part of the problem as the connection seem rubbish. Clamped one of the wires into one to do the R1 test and it just fell out from the tightest part so I might be investing in some decent clips!

Blimey...

What a load of fuss over nothing, or am I missing something?

:| ; \ :^O

chris your r2 reading is a bit low it should be about 1.67 greater than r1 if you are using twin and earth I would expect a r2 reading of 0.835

the difference between the resistance of 2.5 and 1.5 is about 1.67 this is calculated by 2.5 /1.5= 1.6666667

R2 came up as 0.8 when I did the test but dropped straight to 0.7. All the connections are definitely ok as I've checked them, so its got me stumped! Only thing I can think is the rubbish clips on the leads aren't helping...

anyone can read a test meter but knowing what the results mean is another thing. When testing you should roughly know what result to expect before you hit the test button if this is about right move on to the next circuit. I have read loads of pir with odd reading on them and the tester hadn't realised there was something wrong.

anyone can read a test meter but knowing what the results mean is another thing.
Totally agree. It's been a while since I've done any testing so some things I am a bit rusty on. Hence why I'm going to do the 2392 and 2391 courses as soon as money allows.

I'm off to get some shut-eye now, but can someone be so kind as to tell me whether or not me coming across a TT system at any time in the future is something to panic about? Look forward to any answers in the morning.

g'night all.

I'm off to get some shut-eye now, but can someone be so kind as to tell me whether or not me coming across a TT system at any time in the future is something to panic about? Look forward to any answers in the morning.g'night all.
you have had a hard day mate

sleep on it TT is not that bad

top tip.......read a book for ten minutes b4 you turn the light out

otherwise you will end up dreaming of quotes/estimates and T+C's

:^O :^O;)

you have had a hard day matesleep on it TT is not that bad

top tip.......read a book for ten minutes b4 you turn the light out

otherwise you will end up dreaming of quotes/estimates and T+C's

:^O :^O;)
But not the big red one?

I'm off to get some shut-eye now, but can someone be so kind as to tell me whether or not me coming across a TT system at any time in the future is something to panic about? Look forward to any answers in the morning.g'night all.
deffo not,

bestest mostest safest earthing system in use in the UK if implemented correctly.

best wishes,

Albert.

ps, try not to dream of me. :^O :^O

Cheers guys

Had a dreamless sleep, and have got up bright and bushy-tailed, reading my OSG since 0600hrs (think I need to get out more!)

for example in your case.. The Ring:

table 9A OSG pg 166

2.5mm = 7.41miliohm/metre.

1.5 = 12.10miliohm/metre
Special, have looked at OSG and wondered why you were using those particular figures where the protective conductor has a dash in it's column? :eek:

I have to admit I haven't found it to bad to work on. Considering all the experience of TT systems I'd had was during my course I was told, if you ever get to a property and see the power lines above you, walk away!! Hardest part really was because I was converting it to a TT system I had to find somewhere to put the earth rod. Having a solid flint garden didn't help as I got some very high readings!!

As for the above, I wondered too but decided as everyone on here has far more knowledgae and experience than me I wasn't gonna question it! (Be interesting to hear tho)

I have no problem with 'TT' Systems. Quite like them.