Testing and Certification of DIY work

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolandK

Reaction score
Hi

Here is my first post on this forum!

I have a lot of experience of DIY electrics over the years and am confident to carry out most jobs. In the 'old days' I did total rewires of my own and family and friends homes. Always adhering to the regulations of the day. It was all simpler then. No RCD's, MCB's etc, etc, just good old rewireable fuses. I can almost hear the gasps of disbelief and shock from you professional electricians reading this!  Obviously I wouldn't consider it these days with the complexity and regulations being what they are. I'm also too old to be crawling around in lofts and floor spaces! However, with more regulation, Part P etc, I'm still not fully sure what the situation is with what I can and can't do 'legally'.

Specifically this time I want to spur off an existing ground floor ring circuit at the front and back of the house to put outdoor sockets fixed to the outside wall of the house. Can I put the following assumptions/questions to you guys please?

1. As this is an alteration to an existing circuit I assume it is not notifiable under Part P?

2. If not does the work need to be tested and certified by a qualified electrician (in effect meaning I can't do it myself)?

3, If I go ahead and do this the absence of the relevant certificates will be a problem any time I want to sell my house and possibly with my insurance.  

The CU was changed about 5 years ago to a modern split load unit with RCD's. No not by me! By a qualified sparks with all the paperwork in order.

I understand that most sparks won't want to test and certify my work and totally understand the reasons why.

Ta very much.

1. As this is an alteration to an existing circuit I assume it is not notifiable under Part P?

Sort of, nearly. It's outside so it is notifiable.

2. If not does the work need to be tested and certified by a qualified electrician (in effect meaning I can't do it myself)?

Ignoring the above, any electrical work should be tested and verified as set out in BS7671 regardless.

3, If I go ahead and do this the absence of the relevant certificates will be a problem any time I want to sell my house and possibly with my insurance

Yes or no, depending. No one can say it won't be a problem, but if someone does spot it then it will be.

. Always adhering to the regulations of the day.

Welcome to the forum, I am a bit unclear about what level of work you suggest you did in the past? Would that include testing and certifying your work with an installation certificate adhering to the model forms given in the appendix of  BS7617? Or are you just saying you fixed your accessories and joined your wires up then switched it on?   Irrespective of Part-P, (which is a building regulation), BS7671 has for a long time, required all additions and alterations to be tested and certified to confirm they comply with wiring regulations.  However within domestic installations BS7671 is guidance for good practice and non-statutory and DIY electrical work is permitted within the UK. If as you say the CU was replaced only 5 years ago and you do have all correct paperwork, assuming that the circuits were all tested as compliant, then adding a couple of outdoor sockets spurred off the ring is unlikely to make the whole installation a major safety hazard, providing the socket and cable size you want to extend from is suitable for the load likely to be added. I would ensure all external supplies have a double pole isolator switch at the point where they connect to the internal wiring. This can prevent an external cable fault from preventing an RCD from being re-energised. 

Doc H.  

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ is the op on Wales? Only they have notifiable outside work unless it's a new circuit

OK I'll retract that bit, thought that they had removed some outside works but it looks like they have removed it all.

Thanks all.

The work I did in the past was well over 30 years ago. I was guided and taught by a family member who was an electrician. So was aware of correct practice at the time.

In those days when you sold the property nobody asked where the certificates were!

I basically think today we are better off despite all the red tape and it has to be safer than it was.

As far as testing is concerned, no I have never, as a DIY'r tested my work to the extent of what I saw the electrician do with his box of tricks when the new CU was put in. He also did other work including a new additional ring and some lighting but tested the whole house. All was OK.

If all current work , as stated above, needs to be tested and certified this cannot be done by anyone other than a qualified sparks with the right equipment is what I understand. Which in effect rules out DIY electrics or am I being thick?

Just want to be safe and legal.

Thanks again.

If all current work , as stated above, needs to be tested and certified this cannot be done by anyone other than a qualified sparks with the right equipment is what I understand. Which in effect rules out DIY electrics or am I being thick?

All work needs testing, so you need the test equipment and be competent/trained/qualified to use it. Many DIYers own test equipment and know how to use it. Most DIYers do not.

Ok, got it.

so in practice a lot of DIY'ers are excluded from doing their own work as they don't have the equipment or else they just carry on regardless.

If I get the equipment and training I assume then I can self certify my own work and complete something like the minor works certificate.

I would be interested in doing that but have to decide if it's cost effective going forward.

I'll look into it,

Thanks for the info and your time.

Now I understand the difference between Part P and testing and certification I think it might be worth investing in some test gear so I can go on doing my own minor works. Else, I'm going to have to call in a sparks for every darn thing!

Would something like the below be OK to fill in the details on the Minor Works Cert? If not what could you recommend to do the job properly without breaking the bank?

Martindale E-Ze Test EZ2500 Loop Tester

The EZ2500 performs non-trip P-E and P-N loop impedance tests, PFC and PSC checks and lists the results on a backlit LCD display. Voltage check and confirmation of correct wiring also performed.

I have been working in ignorance for years as to the requirements and didn't realise that the BS7671 MWC goes back to 1993! Where I've done things like changed old or damaged sockets and switches and even put up new light fittings etc. etc. I basically have a house full of uncertified work!! I would have thought it was maintenance stuff and not subject to certification and testing but I see it isn't the case. But thinking about it now there's no guarantee that someone would wire up the replacement correctly but it might still appear to work OK. Not much I can do about that now!  Not to mention a smattering of home automation stuff here and there! At least it all tested out OK when the Part P work was professionally done a few years back.

Cheers

and what about testing continuity & IR before you energise the circuit?

on the plus side, replacing an item does not require any certs. an MWC or EIC could be issued but its not a requirement

Thanks Andy

So that tester won't do the total job I take it?

Any recommendations? I also need to learn how to test with it but one thing at a time!

Good news about the replacements not needing certs. Should still be tested I take it.

Cheers

Thanks but that's a bit too rich for me at over 600 sovs! I do recall that when I had a sparks in a while back his box of tricks was well over a grand so guess it was to be expected.

Maybe if I was using it more often but for occasional use I can't justify it. On the other hand if I don't want to fork out that amount but it's what I really need I'd rather leave it and go to plan B. Get a sparks in to do it!

Cheers.